Question? Whats Better - Crashability Or Quality Flight Characteristics

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Oct 22, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Oct 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Here is a perplexing question. What is better? A helicopter that crashes well and flys ok but requires maintenance versus a helicopter that is super reliable, with great flight characteristics but costs more when its crashed.

My Preference is the later. I prefer a helicopter that is super reliable and will take incredible punishment over a long period of time. Being easy to fix is a bonus. Now i know that electronics is at least 50% of the equation here. And to be honest I have been lucky with my flight record so far, ie i have not crashed that much lately (touch wood). But also i have flown a smaller helicopter much more frequently than any other. So because there has been no mechanical failure so far.

So what is your preference?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm sure durability vs. flight quality is proportional to skill level, or at least for some of us. I'm glad I had small and reasonably durable helis to learn on. I have had to rebuild the Nano three or four times over now, but at a minimal cost. I could not say that if I had a larger heli. Now that my skill level has increased somewhat over the last year and crashes are far less frequent, I feel less apprehensive about moving up to a 450. The crash damage will be more costly, but not anywhere near what it would have been if I had bought the 450 a year ago. Once the 450 serves its purpose, and my skills are worthy, I will inevitably go for a more expensive and higher quality heli, but for now, It just isn't logical for me to spend $500 to $1000 while I'm still learning.

2. smakmeharder

Yes i think you are right @Beaver. It depends on your skill level.

I find if i use cheap I will crash due to parts not being up to the task - I will crash again soon i am sure but if its my fault at this stage of my flying i have to "reap" the consequences.

I find if i buy for crash-abililty i am not happy with the performance of the heli. Sure it will not have as much damage in a crash but i am not happy with the performance.

If I buy for performance and reliability it will cost alot - so if i can overcome anxiety I should not "in theory" crash too much if I am careful.

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

In your case, having recently logged over 350+ flights on the same heli with no crashes, you are well justified in having a precision machine, which also in turn, insures that those 350+ flights are possible.

4. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

I prefer something that crashes well. I dont really have the skills to keep it up in the air so a hard crash without as much expenditure lessens the pain

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

That being said, once your skills are improved, would you be more likely to invest in a more complex and precise machine?

6. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

This hobby make me laugh we spend $2000.0 + on a new Heli then spend hours putting it together till it's perfect
      Only to put it up in the air and beat the living shiz out of it then complain how much parts cost to rebuild it are we crazy or just obsessed yes it's a drug just got to have
      Your fix lol
      Just fly what you want and have fun

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    7. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

I would say go with great flight characteristics.

I had a Mikado Logo 500. Simply put, it was a sheer flying pleasure.

Once you experience a good flying machine, there is no turning back.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

Based on my last crash with the Chronos, nose in 1 foot hole in the ground I am lucky enough to have both flight characteristics and crashability.
      Sorry to say but anything else I would have lost 160esc and lipos and probably having tossed the kit in the bin.
      So yeah having both is a possibility.

9. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

In theorie you dont have to crash. Its just up to you. You are the man on the sticks. Of course there can be a technical failure.

So what does that say? - A bigger machine with expensive gear minimizes the risk of a technical failure and gives you much more precision. Every beginner should become friends with the sim for hours and hours. There is no reason to fly a 2000.-$ + heli with no skills.

But when you are finally at the field go step by step. The expensive heli does just what you want it to do. Thats what you are paying for. I would crash a blade nano every other flight for sure! And if you dont nail a trick in the sim, you can only nail your heli into the field. And that crash guy has something to laugh again.. And you wallet cryes.

So.. Hands on the sim, go for a good heli and if it comes down once cuz of dumb thumbs... You have saved much money by not buying 5 shiz helis to learn with havent you?? :)

Sounds logical.

10. smakmeharder

Yes thats how i feel about it as well @iggy. Once you are past a certain point its actually cheaper to spend more on performance and reliability.

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

That is a logical point of view. In my dealings with said Nano, I have spent enough on parts and upgrades to have bought two more Nano's, and with that same sum of money, I could have probably bought something better- a 450 for example. It's hard to say if my progress would have been better or worse because of it. Long story- short though, some of us have to follow a different learning curve. I did not have this knowledge base available when I started flying, and mistakes were made. It's air under the rotor now...... nowhere to go but up from here.

12. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I will say great flight characteristics. In my opinion, a helicopter that flies ok at best will not let you progress as efficiently as you might be able to with a helicopter with great flight characteristics. But on the other hand....If you have a helicopter that flies great but you know its going to implode on itself in a crash.....you might be compelled to take it easy. Which would in turn, cause you to not progress as efficiently as you could. So Its kind of a catch 22.

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm surprised @Crash Heligod hasn't weighed-in on this conversation yet. (all 15kg of him)

14. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Well @Beaver your wish is my command. The answer to this question is very very simple. Allways choose a helicopter that crashes well! I love helicopters that crash well. Almost as good as helicopters which crash spectacularly - or explosively. Muah ha ha ha...

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

"Allways choose a helicopter that crashes well!"
      That doesn't sound like the @Crash Heligod that I know! :eek: