Switching Transmitter Brands

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Geena, Apr 12, 2015.

By Geena on Apr 12, 2015 at 9:56 AM
  1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

After some serious thought, and considerations...I have decided to switch from Spektrum to Futaba. I have never had an issue with Spektrum, and I think they are fantastic transmitters. It was just time for a change. I looked at several brands, and decided on the 14SG. I have not set any of my helicopters up on it as of yet, because I want to make sure I fully understand the programming first. (plus I wanted to fly this weekend instead of setting up helicopters) I have been digging through it since I got home from the flying field a few hours ago, and the more I dig into it... the more I like it.

When I started it up for the first time, and took a look at the programming ( which is way more complicated than Spektrum) I thought....WHAT have I gotten myself into. But as I read through the manual and played with the settings, it all really came into focus very quickly. The features and flexibility in the programming is amazing, and lots of fun to explore. I hope to have all of my helicopters on it before next weekend so I can start enjoying it. :)

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Geena, Apr 12, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Yes, Geena thats the same radio as mine!... I Have had mine for about 1.5 years now and i can honestly say that it has never missed a beat, feels GREAT in the hands - the gimbals are quick and reliable.

Now the programming is the harder part but it comes with the ability to configure your radio with more options. For example, i fly only TWO modes. Off or Full 3d, i dont worry about any of the other modes.

Sometimes i used to forget setting my battery timer but with my radio i have configured it such that when i switch from throttle hold to full 3d, the timer is set at 3.00 minutes, when i switch into throttle hold at the end of the flight after the beeps the timer resets to zero. So i never have to worry about flicking timer switches. Just flick one switch and fly - the rest is automatic.

I still use my dx8 for flight sims but the trim pots clog up every 6 - 8 months and it has to be disassembled and cleaned.

So the futaba programming takes more to get used to - but the on board telemetry and configuration features are really nice. I also brought some hobby king LIFE batteries as a replacement for the NIMH. Makes the radio lighter and lots longer transmitter usage as well...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...tter_Pack_Futaba_T14SG_4PK_US_Warehouse_.html

2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I have been experimenting and playing with settings on mine all day. So far its been going quite well, and between reading the manual and actually playing with the programming... I`m getting right into the groove with it. I`m already looking at the life packs. I may pick up a couple in the next few days. I always like to keep a spare for when I go to an event. How do the life packs compare to a lipo as far as usage time? I have never used a life pack, so I`m curious as to how long it might go between charges. I have seen a few posts on the other forums about using a lipo in the 14SG, but I`m not convinced that would be a good idea. Since the voltage of a fully charged 2s lipo is pushing 8.4 volts. Just seems like it would not be worth risking a $600 transmitter by putting a lipo in it. I do have a question for you. I like to have my throttle hold on the right side of the transmitter. ( the lower long switch) The 14 SG has a momentary switch there. would it be possible to move the switches so that the momentary switch is on the left and the two position switch is on the right? If not, I can retrain myself to use throttle hold on the left....but I would rather not.

3. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

I have a 14SG and am very happy with it. I have heard of people swapping switches @Geena. Not done it myself, but believe it can be done.

I have my timer reset on the bottom right a throttle hold on bottom left. Timer starts when throttle stick hits about 30%.

I also have a complete power cutoff switch do I can have my switches in any mode without throttle hold and no power will go to the motor. It's like a safety switch.

I'm sure you will love it.

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Hi Geena,

The LIFE packs are fine and go pretty much as long as the lipo packs. It lasts AGES between charges - I mean like a month or so of average flying, even more - sometimes 2 to 3 months. Only if you leavce your transmitter on accidently for extended periods of time will you notice the charge dropping quicker than usual.. Having a spare pack is a good idea definitely and the life packs are pretty cheap.

THROTTLE HOLD:

I recommend the 3 position switch JUST ABOVE the right hand cyclic stick. I cover the switch with a bit of red heatshrink so i know my finger is on the right switch without even looking.

Now my reasoning for selecting this switch.

Doing low and fast 3d can be dangerous if you are performing fast tricks - you need a switch that can be hit instinctively at the right time. To activate the switch into stunt mode I push the switch UP towards the top of the transmitter. Now the helicopter is activiated i REST my ring vfinger or second finger on top of the switch ALL THE TIME. This way if anything happens the natural reaction is to CLENCH the hand. Which will automatically activate the switch.

Sometimes when flying lowish, hitting throttle hold very quick can be the difference between 50 dollars as opposed to 300 dollars in repairs. Or perhaps even prevent an accident.

So i hope this helps Geena. I can attach some photos if you like explaining it better....

5. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Thanks @smakmeharder. I will give that a try and see if it works for me. I am so used to having my hold switch on the lower right though, so it might take some practice. I generally fly with my index finger right under the switch so I can activate it in the blink of an eye. But your idea does sound like a good one, so I`m going to try that first. :)

EDIT: I just assigned the 3 position switch to my hold and it feels as natural as the way I have been doing it. @smakmeharder for the win :D

EDIT of the EDIT...LMBO. two of the LIFE packs you posted link to....ordered. :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015