Question? Prefered Setups For 700 Class Heli's

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Manyc, Feb 16, 2015.

By Manyc on Feb 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM
  1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Since I am building a 700 class heli, I was wondering what peoples preferences where when it came to electronics.. any why the preference... Keep in mind these are peoples opinions and not statements of fact.. people fly different ways, and certain components may suit their flying style more than yours. I'm avoiding FBL and RX as they are always done to death.

Seeing I'm starting the thread I'll start...

Motor: Xnova 4530-525KV - As from what I have experienced, its power on tap, and its constant... its smooth all the way, its what I imagine nitro must be like.. except for the bonker power. Also run's cool so its nice in summer

ESC : Castle 160 - Just for price, and the eas of setup and configuration. I like being able to use the PC and see all the details on the screen, and the built in AUX cable and logging is nice..

Cyclic Servo's : BK 7001HB - Price and specs. Servo's are fast and can take anything I can throw at it.. which probably all servo's can.. but they are a nice price

Tail Servo: Futaba 276SV -- Futaba tail servo.. I dont need to say any more.... :p

And just to add to the controversy, as people are chatting about it on other threads..

Main Blades : Halo 700 - This is a tough one... I like them and Rails pretty closely... but at the moment I lean to Halo's.. They track nicely in speed, make awesome sound, and seem to "bite" for lack of a better term the air.

Tail Blade : Rail 106/116 - By fair the best tail blades I have used... every time I have put them on over a stock tail, be it edge/sab/halo, I have had to re-do my gains...

ok.. so the can of worms are open.. fire away people.

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Manyc, Feb 16, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

My opinion...

Motor Xnova.... You cant go wrong. I still am in awe by this motor. I try not to be a fanboy but seriously its hard to pick a flaw. The only thing (and this is really being picky) was that on a 36 degree day while doing some pretty hard smack using my gobby 700 the motor was hot to touch! but note i could still keep my hand on the motor (just) even in those conditions..And also note my kosmic 200 was NOT cool - it was dam hot as well. Usually on a 20-25 degree day everthing is just warm but thats it. So i suppose this is normal for the hotter conditions.

ESC Castle 160. Providing you have tried it a few times and know its ok you should be fine. Castle are good value speedys in my opinion. Castle are like the Aligns of the speed controllers IMO.

Cyclic Servos: BK7001HB. Not having used them but seen them in action. I think good value for money thats for sure and fast enough no doubt.

Main Blades: The Halos are really nice and this weekend i grew to like them even more. I really threw my gobby about and the bite and feel is nice. I dont think they will do high speed like rails - rails are the king of speed. But IMO they are better for 3d if you like pop and control. Halos feel better to me than edges.

Tail Servo... No comment required - too obvious.

Tail Blades.. Agree.

2. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

What happened to the E7se on the cheap ?

3. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I liked my motor... So I got a new one.. But all other parts are off my trex 700

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Halos seem a bit noisy for my liking, noise = loss of energy (that noise has to come from somewhere), they do track well, I think rails are slightly better, but halos are good, no doubt - I have never flown edges so can't comment
      Simon

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Here is a story
      I have an E6, I had a scorpion 560kv 4035 and a castle 120HV esc. Let me say right now it was a disappointment, it was not on song, and both the esc and motor would come down red hot (5 flights old). So, on flight 6, I pushed it a little, had a thermal cut out, and a forced auto. Checking the logs it was only drawing 40 amps, no wonder it was a pos. I reprogrammed the esc that night (settings seemed OK), but I heard a crackle when connecting the battery. I thought it was a battery spark. Next day I went out, throttle hold off, and it was a dead as a doornail, so I took it home, soldered up a spare (brand new) CCHV120. Excited I took it out to the field. Stick forward, nothing. Frack, must be the motor. Well I spat the dummy. So I got this
      esc.jpg
      I know I'll burn in hell, but hey, I have an open mind, I'll try it and give my feelings. Now THAT'S how you do a heli on the cheap @Manyc . Motor is the same spec on paper as the scorpion HKIII4035 560Kv and it was $63.99 - go figure.
      Simon

6. smakmeharder

Well there is only one way to find out! And that is to try... but if you try based on other peoples experience then they have done all the hard work for you usually. The Yeps have a reasonable reputation from what i understand, i dont know about the motor. I think you will be fine!

7. smakmeharder

IMO Halos are noisy when you smak or put them under load. Some people love the growl/fart (like me!) However the 700 halo blade chord is a couple of mm wider giving it quite a bit more blade area in total. They are a different blade and if I could compare them to anything I would have to say "a much better than edge style blade". Edge are also a noisy blade. Halos bite harder when punching the collective. You could actually fly Halos with a bit less pitch if you were used to the same size edge blade. One would think that this would lead to less resolution in the control but its not the case with Halos. When I first tried Halo the first thing i noticed was the extra pop and the smooth control while pirofliping fast or performing 4 point or piro tick tocks. I have only really tried the blades listed below and the rating is subjective based on my flying style.

Align (too spongy, feel inefficient) (quiet)
      Sab (just not really my style blade)
      Gryphon (Nice blade actually close to edge) (medium noise, hard stop)
      Edge (great all rounder) (noisy)
      Halo (like an extreme edge! Track better and 3d better) (noisy)

There are many blades I am yet to try!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    8. smakmeharder

I think @utrinque has used this combination of motor and ESC quite successfully...

9. simon

simon Well-Known Member

and in a 600 it should have a bit of go
      Simon

10. smakmeharder

I think it will kick ass. I flew a 4035 on a goblin 700 set up as a economy smak machine and it had enough go to be pretty impressive. So on a 600 it should rip the bearing blocks out if you pump the pitch hard enough! (lol)

11. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

I used YEP 120 HV with SK3 motors 480kV and 560kV. I prefer 480kV it has more torque. I assume 560kV should also work fine.

If you decide to program lower throttle curve turn on free wheel in ESC.

Keep in mind 700 can burn 120A ESC at high RPM. Start with lower throttle and check temperature of motor and ESC after each flight.

At low RPM I am flying 800 on 120A HV.

Low PWM can overheat motor, high PWM can overheat ESC. Set it accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I'll go a pretty high HS, STNT 2 maybe 2400. How often do you oil / change the bearings on these guys? It's the first time I've gone HK for heli motors
      Simon

13. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Lol @simon when I created the thread ? Was still using the 800 mx so the e7se was only costing me $200 to get in the air.. That was the extra I had to put to the frame...

I'm all for trying different things.. But I got to wonder where the cost was cut.. I find with those you get a ripper or a dud.. But it happens with high price items as well...

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    14. utrinque

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    15. utrinque

2400 is probably to high for SK3. It will burn. I can be wrong. 120A ESC is also to weak, use 160A.

16. feral

feral Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    17. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

This is not the setup i'm using for the E7se... but what I would go if I bought a new heli and all electrics.. tbh I've always like synergy.. keen to get it up in the air...

18. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Thats basically the same setup as my Evo man

19. smakmeharder

I am interested to see it as well @Manyc... happy for you dude....