Thanks Maiden Completed

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by simon, Feb 17, 2015.

By simon on Feb 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM
  1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Hi All
    Well as some of you know, building is not my forte, but I finally got the Evo into the air. This is the story....
    I finished the build about last Thursday, soldered up my 7S packs and was ready. The forecast for the weekend looked great. I called my brother (@Andrew R) and asked if he could come out and check the headspeeds and generally check over my heli (a great tip I found on HeliGods - get another pilot to check your heli before the maiden). On being told of my intent to maiden, Andrew suggested that he qued up the chicken dance music, then he said, "hang on, electrics don't dance, they just crash and burst in flames, don't worry mate, I'll post the carnage on Facebook". Got to love your brother. So for the rest of this story, we will call him "The Jackal" .

In the morning it was hosing down, my heart sunk (thanks @Storm Heligod), but in the afternoon, prayers were answered and the sky cleared. Off to the club. ..
    With the Jackal salivating behind me in a spotting position, camera and one hand and head speed meter in the other, I spooled up. It lifted off smooth as silk, and the head speed was tracked at 2054, that seemed OK. It did seem a bit boggy (14S and a stump grinder motor!). A quick call to @Jeff B and it was like "I'm coming down tomorrow to sort it out for you".
    Next day and @Jeff B was on the doorstep at 8:15 - it's a two hour drive for him so I was impressed. Down to the club again. he did a couple of tuning flights on his Rush 750, crazy, then proceeded to take my Evo up. He didn't like the setup at all, connected it to his laptop and before I knew it he had unleashed it's inner Beast. It was 3 parts awesome and one part fantastic. I had about 4-5 flights on it that day, it's on the twitchy side for my style, but Jeff and my brother say that I set up my helicopters so "your Nanna could fly it". I will leave it as is as I need to sharpen my skills on the sticks.
    I would really like to thank @Jeff B and @Andrew R for their help that momentous day. Seriously, Thanks. YourHobby goes above and beyond the call....And Sorry @Andrew R, Facebook next time....maybe.

As a side note of interest, he took my (his old) E7 for a go and in his normal fashion, finished the flight off with a crazy big auto. Well after it was a dot in the sky he hit the TH, orientation was almost impossible to see, and when we did finally see it clearly the Blades had completely stopped and it was tumbling to the Earth with the Mains parallel to the boom. It looked like it had been thrown off a building. Jeff caught it, and landed at my feet (well nine meters from my feet) nose in. It was the last flight of the day and seemed somehow fitting for the day to end with a maneuver like that

Now for some shots.
    1. Charging the packs, me in anticipation - 7S of goodness
    batts.jpg
    2. The Maiden flight.....
    evomaiden.jpg
    3. The afterglow....
    afterglow.jpg
    4. Team Alees Booyah -walking back to Club Hardcore
    team alees.jpg
    Again....Thanks @Jeff B, you make this hobby easy for people like Me. Thanks @Andrew R for taking the photos
    Simon
    ps. Sorry it's a new thread but I just needed to get this out there

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by simon, Feb 17, 2015.

1. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Awesome dude, man that thing looks so big.. :)

2. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

Gotta love the way you put things together mate. It was a great day and to see the smile on your face was worth the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    3. feral

feral Well-Known Member

About bloody time @simon and well done bro

4. Andrew R

Andrew R Active Member

Was a great day, the maiden was a success, its a big beautiful machine with heaps of power and presence. Nice work @simon .

I would also like to thank @Jeff B for coming down, its so good to have such a talented and knowledgeable pilot come down and fly with us and give us direction.

All in all a great day.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

One thing I forgot to mention...As it was a Sunday and we can't fly till 9:00, @Jeff B took my sorry crashed N5c, and pretty well fully rebuilt it for me. He is a machine.
      Thanks for that too!
      Simon

6. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

A most enjoyable and entertaining lunchtime read! Gotta love @Jeff B s autos, i remember at the last HGs funfly... I was gobsmaked! quite impressive, super high, head in and really fast...

7. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

That`s awesome! It is this type of friendships that help make this hobby so worth while. You guys ROCK! Congrats on the maiden also... that helicopter looks sweet. :)

8. simon

simon Well-Known Member

You are spot on @Geena without guys like that in the hobby, well, I'd find something else to do with my time - anytime soon you should see if you can get a fly of one of these, they have a massive presence in the air and orientation is great because of the sick canopy, you never know, you might jump from TSA!
      Simon

9. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Awesome.. Glad to see is in the air and humming... Looking forward to seeing it at Wagga

10. bradshaw

bradshaw Member

Thought I was gonna get a maiden on mine this weekend but got forcasts for cyclones 300mm of rain and work for sat sun, sad days but I hope mine is as goood as your sounds, congrats on the maiden gotta love that new heli feeling

11. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Yours will be as good for sure, they are sweet sweet heli. They are also super visible given the canopy. You will love it. Do take a pic of the maiden and post it. Your lucky "The Jackal" isn't standing behind you:)
      Simon

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

13. bradshaw

bradshaw Member

Just running a 12s setup atm had some gear sitting around at home I put in
      Rjx hv servos
      4235 520 scorpion motor
      Hawk 120hv esc
      AR7200BX and some rails 696s ive had here but im thinking jll try those cyclones when they come in in the 715s for something new, hopefully in six months or so ill be able to put a yge 160 and kde 700xf 455 in it and run 14s..... well thats the plan anyway....

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Nice setup, sounds killer - I think rails are better than Halo's (IMHO) but cyclones will be the bomb. You going to HH15?
      Simon

15. bradshaw

bradshaw Member

I wish, would have loved to but jeff keeps taking all my money.....jks but might make a plan to do the trip next year hopefully nick will still come!

16. simon

simon Well-Known Member

sometimes I think I should have my paycheck made out to your hobby....worth every cent
      Simon

17. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Halo's (my preferred blade at the moment) but I do like me some rails as well.. I haven't seen the Cyclones yet... looking forward to seeing them in action, hell if someone wants to loan me a pair at Wagga (if they are in) I'll give em a shot... I'm also hanging for next set of 715's to come out.. Helix/Halo/Cyclone I think all have them... I may even get round to trying some 716 rails one of these days...

18. bradshaw

bradshaw Member

Been running 696s on everything love the helix blades but the price tag just keeps me flying higher.... thinks its about time I see what bigger blades have to offer

19. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Rail 716 are great, don't get wrong, Halos and Rails is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. They are a great blade. On my N5c they were my favorite, on a 700, I like rails better. Still the top tier blades (if cyclones live up to the hype - they will great too) I plan on flying cyclone, rails, halos and CY's on the same day, pack after pack on the same heli, then make a comparison on Heligods
      Simon