Question? Heavy Metal Gimbals

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Oct 27, 2015.

By iggy on Oct 27, 2015 at 8:01 AM
  1. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Hi guys

Is there any other handheld transmitter with full metal gimbals/sticks mechanism?? The new JR 28x has some but its around 2'500.- euros, available from the end of month. Its A LITTLE BIT to much for me! :)

Please let me know I cant find anything similar. My DX18 has some play on negative pitch now. Its tweeting and bending a bit. Plastic bulls@it.

image.jpeg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Heavy Metal, Dude! :D
      8953_heavy_metal.jpg

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Hmmmm... Here are my heavy metal gimbal sticks. I am very fussy about gimbal sticks - they should be SHARP and the prongs must make as smaller circle as possible. I actually got one of my friends to machine some up. Because these are made from steel they stay sharp longer. I can then sharpen them using a file when they go blunt. I like the T14SG gimbal feel. Very smooth and so far i have not had any issues with it. It has had a hard life and so far has never let me down.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I really loving my 14SG too. I changed my gimbal ends too, but I didn`t machine my own. have a set of Sea Craft ends on mine.

IMG_9060 (1024x767).jpg

4. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

The T14 is a nice one. But still plastic gimbals. On the other hand its better quality then spektrum for sure.

5. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I flew a Spektrum DX8 for a few years, and never had an issue with it. The gimbals were not as smooth as the ones on the 14SG, but they were still really good. The only reason I switched, was because I just wanted to try something new. The one thing I do miss about Spektrum is the model match feature, that won`t let you turn on the wrong model. Futaba does not have that, so you have to be very careful that you have the transmitter on the model you are going to be flying. I kinda fixed that issue with mine by going into the setup menu and setting the transmitter to go into model select mode when I turn it on, instead of going back to the last called model. That way, it will not transmit any signal or let me go any further until I select the model I wish to fly. Reducing the risk of plugging in/starting the wrong model, and having it end in disappointment.

6. smakmeharder

Yes i agree @Geena the model match feature is something i miss. I have been caught once or twice but have spotted the unusual swash movements before any issues occurred. And @iggy the gimbals are not metal but in terms of reliability (ie after hundreds of thousands of movements) there is no wear on the actual gimbal itself. But if you like metal - i can understand. Metal does have a nice look to it. My first priority is the feel, then reliability, and accuracy. What is the reason for wanting metal @iggy? Is it the look/feel? just curious...

7. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for your inputs @Geena and @smakmeharder!

No Mr Smak its not the look. Of course it looks cool. I have noticed some play on my DX18 on full negative pitch two days ago.

Its not that bad but there is now half a millimeter I can bend it down when I push a bit. That wasnt the case. Im using it for the sim as well to have the same feeling when I go outside for some flights. It doesnt seem to be resistant enough for my rocking thumbs. This TX was once 1000.- $. Thats much cash.

As I pulled it apart I saw the inside.. Everything is just plastic. Even the gimbals.. The JR28x looks indestructible. Must be the best gimbal system on the market right now.

So Im asking if there is anything that comes close to this metal gimbal system. I couldnt find anything. I dont need that 28 channels with touchscreen, android, double battery tray, camera and so on...

But those metal gimbals.. Thats what I want. :D

8. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

You may have to spring for the 28X, if you want metal gimbals. As far as I know, the 28X is the only one that has them at the moment. I have to admit though, it does look impressive.

9. smakmeharder

The only other transmitter i know that has full metal gimbals is the jeti dc-16.

a6898047-50-Jeti_DS-16.JPG
      but it looks more like a plankers radio...

10. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

I took a look at the jeti. Looks nice and the gimbals seems to be something solid. But I dont know how it would feel to fly with.. Should go to a store to hold it in my hands. But the Price is much better here then with the JR 28x. Thats a Goblin 380 less... LoL

11. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Found two more now. Made in Germany:

The Weatronic Bat 60 & 64. The 64 looks very very nice but unfortunately Im a thumb Flyer.. :)

handsender-schwarz-02.jpg
      bat64_black_01.jpg

12. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I have held a jetti.. it doesnt seem like it should feel nice.. but it does. except for price I would be all over it.

13. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Ok thats cool. The sticks seem to be very Long. But I think they are adjustable for thumb Flyers. I like the Carbon red edtition. Need to know more about..

jeti carbon red.jpg

14. ChopsyWA

ChopsyWA Well-Known Member

I'm looking into the Jeti Tx at the moment, looking like a good option with the up'n'coming integration options with several fbl units.
      Would be great to be able to adjust all fbl settings from the Tx, just like Vcontrol only without being trapped to just vbar.
      Spirit fbl currently has Jeti integration, "soon" the new Bavarian Demon fbl will also have integration, and even MSH is working on Jeti integration for their Brain/iKon.

15. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

I like the look of the Jeti. It doesnt have to be curved like other transmitters. Most important is what it feels like in your hand and how the gimbals feel i suppose.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    16. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The Batt 60 looks like the go, it's cheaper than the 28x too. The cost is then receivers (whichj cost heaps for the Weatronic setups)
      [​IMG]
      They come in lots of colors too
      [​IMG]
      Simon

17. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

I agree man. Thats the future - full integration. VControl is a really good thing.

Which Jeti receiver is the right one to connect to a fbl over PPM signal? As I could understand the small R3 has to be updated first to use the PPM feature..

@simon the bat60 is cool but I found some trouble videos on youtube. Seems like the software is still not perfect.. I posted the bat60&64 up here.

18. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Good luck @iggy, I use a Jr11x, and I love it.... Find one - a tranny -( no not one in dress with a dick) you love, have faith in it, and go for it and "Simon Says" - Smak that heli

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    19. ChopsyWA

ChopsyWA Well-Known Member

Just in case you where still looking at a new transmitter @iggy
      Note that it seems Weatronic have filed for bankruptcy, so the Bat tx's are not a good option to go for anymore ;)