Question? Gyro Sensor Mounting. Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Apr 17, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Apr 17, 2015 at 9:23 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Normally when i mount my gyro sensor I try to make sure its DIRECTLY under the main shaft and as close to the rotor pivot point as possible. My question is... does it make any difference really? Will the gyro respond better because of the mounting position? Can anyone shed some lighton this topic?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Apr 17, 2015.

1. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Gyro sensors measure the angular rate of rotation about one or more axis. So up to a point it won't matter how far away from the mainshaft centreline you are because you are still measuring an angular rate of rotation and not a raw speed or the like. Each flybarless system is tuned for an expected range of mounting positions so whilst it's good that you go the the trouble I doubt it will make any difference you or I could detect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Yes i thought as much. The gyro rotates the same amount if its in the center of the shaft or out from the center. Because its further from the center of rotation it has more centrifugal force. So basically it makes no difference as you state @mr_squiggle . Thanks for that....

3. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

mr_squiggle is right location does not matter.

There is one exception to this rule.

We have to take into account different locations can vary in level of vibration.

It means gyro can work even at the end of the taił but this place is much more prone to vibrations.

Important is also precise axis aligment if we want heli to fly straight. ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Forget centrifugal force, it's not a part of this equation. It's dA/dT (for a given movement) will be the same no matter where it's mounted (as @mr_squiggle points out), next to the mainshaft or on the top of the tail is all the same. I think that vibration is not the exception to the rule, it's a factor on placement, but not an exception.
      Simon