Exploding Goblin !

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by The Dude, Nov 9, 2014.

By The Dude on Nov 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM
  1. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

So I hear that @smakmeharder had a small issue with slicing off his boom today.. lol... Pics sure to come. Spewing I missed out on seeing that one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by The Dude, Nov 9, 2014.

1. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Here you go Ray

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

3. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Awwww Ray, what gives, don't make 'that Guy' smile, you know you are a member of TNFC....

I got 11 flights over the WE, love it, nothing like what you pulled off, I hope it's fixed soon Mate so you can visit us in the back blocks

Simon

4. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear; @Smakemeharder.... well it looks like i did smakyouharder - harder than you ever been smaked before. You see when you fly with overpowered motors and try to pull of silly tricks that look like they will break your helicopter..... eventually they will. Well you thought that performing your well known "pchyco" manouver would impress people... well you were right! especially after i added my subtle touch to your trick! I laughed so hard for so long that I lost concerntration while trying to crash Phils helicopter shortly after. Nevermind, your goblins soul will remain immortal in my ever growing graveyard smakme..... muah ha ha ha ha

5. smakmeharder

POST FLIGHT AUTOPSY.

For those who like post crash amusement - read on.

I had (note past tense) a smoking hot goblin. Kosmic 200, futaba servos and cgy750 gyro - xnova 4530 motor... It kicked ass and I was really starting to like it...

Upon doing some moderate to sometimes hard3d, i decided it was time to do a psycho - a high energy maneuver that does impress but man it puts a lot of stress on a heli.

I did not really go that fast into the maneuver flying from right of field to left. I pulled into a 3/4 piro while traveling at a moderate speed, then aggressively pushed out while continuing the piro.

It appears that the main blade broke and folded into the boom chopping it clean in half about 15 cm back from the tail box

Now here is where its gets a bit funny. The head of the helicopter was still flying and piroetting madly towards me and the spectators. I still had control and managed to auto the spinning head into the ground rather softly. All electronics survived thank heligods....

The end... BTW thanks Crash... and yes @simon I gotta come up and visit for sure.... what a day... Will keep you informed on the rebuild....

6. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

7. smakmeharder

Luckily i have 2 new frames on hand, the head and tail appear to be fine and the gears are still intact. All servos are fine and the motor spools no problem. It looks as if I will need to change the 2 side frames, the boom and maybe a couple of unseen damaged parts here and there. Pity about the main blades however.... ...I think it will cost me around 300 ish seeing i have the frames.. Such is life @iggy!

8. dazelec

dazelec Active Member

what...... crash crashed

9. smakmeharder

crash exploded....

10. simon

simon Well-Known Member

My rule-of-thumb is that if you have broken your frames and boom, it's a re-kit. Harvest your electronics and any bits that are OK as spares, and get a new kit...you'll enjoy it more than putting 'humpty together again'
      Simon

11. Mickstef

Mickstef Member

dam went home to early. what a sight that must of been, half a heli auto, something you dont wanna practice

12. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

It's was an epic explosion.. the worst part is the canopy...

13. smakmeharder

Yep your right @Manyc... the canopy... :-( sigh... Oh well what can be done about that? Lucky i have a spare but unlucky I broke my angrybirds.... Jason wanted that canopy.... Looks like he has it now...

14. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

And he will be wearing it as a hat knowing him...

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    15. Stephen

Stephen Member

I must say that the explosion of the tail was impressive but the graceful semi controlled auto of the body was truly spectacular!

16. smakmeharder

It was almost like watching a snowflake fall to the ground - like nothing else i have seen todate. Sigh.. thats helis for you! I had to laugh at @3dmicks comment - "that looked like my heli last week!" and it did....

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    17. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

It seems rather unlikely. At least exceptionally unusual.

I blame nylon bolts fixing boom, they are guilty. It is quite easy to overtighten them. This way they loose strenght and break. Did you have nylon bolts?

Actually I think Bert explanation that head has to be tight is wrong.

Almost all Goblin boomstrikes are related to boom moving upwards in flight or less often to broken ball links.

I can be wrong. False statements on forums are plentiful. Just another point of view.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    18. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

Actually using servos after crash can cause more problems than using unbroken airframe parts, head or swash. Servo can work fine without load but go crazy under heavy load in flight. Been there done that.

On the other hand you are right. I totalled my Gaui X5 because aluminium servo mount broke in flight. Previous owner was crashing it a lot. Some alu parts can break occasionally if we crash often.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    19. smakmeharder

It Could be, cant @utrinque I cant rule anything out. I know this much, I believe any helicopter above 500 size can be broken if you fly it hard enough... you just have to learn the right tricks that break them.. I am getting there! lol...