Question? Drought Tips And Advice Sought.

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Mark Mickels, May 30, 2015.

By Mark Mickels on May 30, 2015 at 8:18 AM
  1. Mark Mickels

Mark Mickels Well-Known Member

I know that you folks in Australia have limited water resources. What are some of the things that you do to conserve or reduce your water usage? I live in California, and we are entering our fourth year of drought. I have no yard or plants to water, so it's more of a personal water usage question. I have to shave every day for work, so that's off the table as well. Help!

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Mark Mickels, May 30, 2015.

1. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

The biggest measures here that people take are
      - not washing their cars
      - restricting garden watering to two days or no watering at all (this helps you in absolutely no way)
      - restricting shower time to a couple of minutes
      - drinking beer instead of water (this is very popular here).

A lot of people here have swimming pools, they use up a little bit of water in summer. So water ever savings you make in water, someone down the street will offset it.

But, in Perth Western Australia where I live, it was found that, the biggest culprit of water wastage are businesses, they use and waste more water than anyone else.

If you ever go up to a mine site here, they have trucks that go around sprinkling the dirt roads with water to keep dust levels down.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. Mark Mickels

OK, I'll put beer on my shopping list. I'm down to my last one anyhow. The shower time thingy would be hard. I shave in the shower, so I'm probably in there for five minutes every day.

3. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Several years ago here in Melbourne we were under severs water restrictions. Sales of water tanks boomed and in fact new houses were required to have them installed. Exchange shower heads were offered for free .Although you mentioned you have no garden many here would go to the extreme of showering with a bucket in the shower to catch any surplus even catching their washing machine waste water for their plants. Car wash businesses also boomed as they recycled their water. Water is precious as life cannot exist without it! Even flushing the toilet every second time (no1) was not out of the question. By the way beer ,wine and lemonade sales increased. Many people who had large gardens at the time purchased recycled water. No one can ask more if you already do the best you can to save water!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    4. Mark Mickels

The water company may ask us for a 25 to 30% reduction. I'm not sure how we can accomplish that and we will have one of our grandsons and his friend living here for the month of August.

5. HungryHungryHippos

Besides the measures Fredo mentioned, I dont think you can go much further without starting to compromise health and hygiene.

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

If I could send you all our extra water, I would. We've been having record breaking amounts of rain and floods here in Oklahoma, after being in a drought.

7. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

For shaving, you could try an electric razor.

8. HungryHungryHippos

You caught us all out.

9. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

But elect razor might electrocute in the shower.. (lol) good suggestion as I do the same... Not sure if electronic razor can cut so we'll over time...I found them pretty expensive for blades. But in water restricted areas could well be the go

10. Mark Mickels

Electric razors and my skin don't get along very well. I shave in the shower, so I guess I could stop that.

11. HungryHungryHippos

Did you use Remington or a Philips? Philips have got the aqua touch, so you can shave while wet.

The Philips head is more gentle.

Or you can just wax, after all women do it all the time.

Last edited: May 31, 2015