Drones Sold In Normal Consumer Shops.

Discussion in 'Multirotors' started by HungryHungryHippos, Dec 29, 2016.

By HungryHungryHippos on Dec 29, 2016 at 10:04 PM
  1. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

I went to the post Christmas sales and decided to have a look in the local consumer electronics shop ( JB-HIFI) and out of curiosity I have a look in their drone section which they have these days.

I came across a Parrot drone, what got my interest is the sky-controller which seems interesting, most likely impractical for 3D, but for flying around seems interesting, to me its got a professional / military look and feel to it.

parrot_bebop_skycontroller_yellow_img1-500x500.jpg

Has anyone tried one of these parrot drones?

I own a DJI knock off with an ardupilot, so I dont know how a real DJI phantom compares, but how do the Parrots compare to a DJI?

Or is it the case for us ones yellow, ones white and thats it?

Comments

Discussion in 'Multirotors' started by HungryHungryHippos, Dec 29, 2016.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I only know people at the club who have drones - mostly racers using headsets. Just from observation the only think i could say that might add some value would be to check out the contrast and resolution of the VDU (display). In sunlight it may not be too vibrant. Looks like a good package - everything included. Is there an auto return incase of a lost signal?

2. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

Basically you connect your own tablet or smart phone and put it on the controller. Parrot just supplies the fancy controller joysticks and extended range control and video signals ( 2 km).

It looks like you can connect a FPV headset to the Parrot Sky controller.

As for auto return home, it looks like it does that on signal loss after a pre defined time period. But I am going to dig deeper to find an explicit statement on this.

Although I own an ardupilot and a el cheapo HK quad frame, the Parrot has caught my eye, as it looks to be hassle free.

The purpose the Parrot would serve for me is something you can fly after work without having to think about much.

JB-HIFI sell the parrot and controller for $699.

Yes you can build cheaper from HK, but when you factor in the cost of an Ardupilot unit, GPS etc, and the fact you dont end up with as nice end solution, the Parrot looks good. Part of the problem could be me as I am used to V-bar / Mikado stability, and for me, I am very untrusting of how my HK frame / Ardupilot behaves. Its even had a tip over.