News Has The Faa Gone Too Far? 30 Mile No Fly Zone In Dc

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by The Informer, Jan 16, 2016.

By The Informer on Jan 16, 2016 at 9:54 PM
  1. The Informer

The Informer Administrator

Its common knowledge that the FAA released a series of regulations to control the use of unmanned aircraft including drones, RC planes and helicopters. And now there is a new addendum that quotes that no one is allowed to fly Drones or RC airplanes or anything within 30 miles of DC.

The law currently states:

Any unmanned aircraft system (UAS) between 250 grams to 55 lbs must register. (over 55lbs is a different catagory)
    $5 USD registration fee, currently under rebate (free) till Jan 20th.
    Owners must carry registration info (printed card or paper in wallet, etc) and reg. number on aircraft.
    Failure to register unmanned aircraft: up to $27,000 fine.
    Criminal penalties up to $250,000 fine and/or imprisonment of up to three years.
    A complete list of regulations can be found here..

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...-requirements-for-small-unmanned-aircraft#h-8

Apparently there is new legislation now in California aimed at further regulating drones/rc helis/rc planes suggesting that they require the same level of traceability as a car.

Early last year even stricter legislation was motioned with an attempt to ban all RC craft in Colorado (thank you @utrinque) http://diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=705844:BlogPost:1879048 . The current state of this legislation is unknown.

What next? Perhaps there will be drone interceptors scouring the skys waiting to capture any illegal drones like this new drone cop...

(thanks @Beaver)

So what is your opinion on the legislation? Do you think its going too far? Do you think this amount of regulation is necessary? And should RC planes/Helicopters be included seeing that they have been flying for decades without any issues? And finally do you think this legislation is destined to be applied in other countries?

Comments

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by The Informer, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Drones, helicopters, planks..... all are being produced in greater numbers due to recent advancements in tech, and lower cost. Why drones are more alluring these days is beyond me. I'm sure more laws will be put in place as each idiot out there manages to find a new way to circumvent common sense. The unfortunate thing about it is that the "model" aircraft enthusiasts get thrown into the same scrutiny as the drones.
      I went ahead and bent to the will of the FAA and registered, but the moment I ever have my rights infringed upon through no wrongdoing of my own, I'll be contacting every advocacy group, and maybe an attorney.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Its the progression of things that is concerning. I would not be surprised if other countries adopt this legislation. Compared to say Australia (the nanny country) the USA are usually more relaxed about these sort of things. If a politician in Aust wants to make a name for themselves they usually would pick something like this - introduce legislation and stamp their name on it as an achievement.

3. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

If the 5-mile rule were actively enforceable, I would already be in trouble. I routinely fly within 1 mile of an air-force base at the shop where I work, but then again, I'm nowhere near the glide-path, I don't fly more than about 50 meters high, and I stay within the lot around the shop. The same could be said of the park near home, which is 4 miles from said air force base in a residential zone where there is constant air traffic at around 1000 feet or so. I don't think I'm bothering anyone flying my measly little 75 or so meters below them. Sure, by virtue of technicality they could probably bring me up on charges, but I doubt it would ever occur to anyone to do so since in flying "under the radar" ..... pun intended.