X3l

Discussion in 'Gaui' started by Geena, Dec 24, 2016.

By Geena on Dec 24, 2016 at 12:57 PM
  1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Got my Christmas present early today. A brand new Gaui X3L jit from Empire Hobby. I can`t wait to get started on the build. I`ll have a build thread up on my website in a few days...and maybe a maiden video.

WP_20161223_006 (1024x575).jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'Gaui' started by Geena, Dec 24, 2016.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Very nice @Geena. You are one lucky girl! It will be interesting to see what you think of its flight characteristics

2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Thank you @smakmeharder . I`m going to get started on the build today....after flying, of course. I should have it up and flying in a day or two, and I`ll give a full report soon. One thing that I can see happening though, is those flipper landing gear being replaced by regular ones. I have never really cared for those much.

3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

4. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I got X3L test hovered today, and everything is good to go. Tomorrow, I`m going to go put some flights on it and get it tuned up.

5. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

OK.... I have had lots of time to spend with the X3L, and I really do like the way it flies. It`s rock solid in the air, and very predictable during maneuvers. I have put roughly 50 flights on it....maybe more, and I have had one crash with it as well. It really takes a crash well too. I stuffed it in under power, and surprisingly, it only suffered a badly stripped main gear.....there were only two teeth left on it..haha. Broken main blades, broken landing skids and a scuffed canopy. I took out all the shafts, chucked them up in the milling machine and checked them with a dial indicator. None of them were bent, so I put them back in helicopter.

There are two things that I had issues with, and both of them are very minor. The first thing, is the little speed style landing gear do not work for me where I fly. I fly on a grass field, and the X3 will tip over every time when I land. So to fix that, I installed regular X3 landing gear ( which are a direct bolt on with no mods) and it was problem solved.

The second issue, was the tail boom pin screw that the manual says to use, is too short, and after about 6 flights my tail belt loosened up enough to let it slip and I almost lost tail control. I felt it as soon as it started to slip, and got it down without incident. The manual says to put a 1.5mm X 10mm screw in the transmission to pin the boom, but I readjusted the belt, and installed a 1.5mm X 12mm screw, and I have not had it come loose again.

Those were the only two issues I have had with it in 50+ flights, and it`s holding up quite well.

WP_20161226_010 (1024x571).jpg