Question? Why Not 18s??? This = 66.6v

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Nov 21, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Nov 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I am asking the question.. higher voltage - to a point - is much more efficient than lower voltage. This is undeniable and I know the effects by moving from 3S to 6S on a 450. HUGE difference. Now with this in mind why not use 3 6s packs in a 700 (short ones stacked lengthwise) to create a much more efficient power system. This would mean either longer flight times or more power or less weight. So why oh why has no one done this and why is no one doing this? The modifications to the heli would only mean a motor with suitable kv, an ESC and a large set of gahoonas ..... Being 66.6 volts, I am sure @crashheligod would approve.

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Yes I do approve of 66.6v @smakmeharder ... Put one in your goblin! I will help you ;)

2. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

Have you seen the 24s x7's ?

3. smakmeharder

Yes @ScottE, I have, but the thing is I think 3 * 6s... is very practical... you could buy packs that fit, its cheap and better all round. 7s packs are real expensive.

4. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

Sorry mate . They use 4x 6s gaui x7 lol few gentleman jacks and speed type

5. smakmeharder

Oh wow... so they use 6s...then that would be practical..The reason for my question was that it appears the higher voltage setup is much more practical. So if you can buy the batteries without spending a fortune then thats much better. Also because of the higher voltage ratings the current demands are less meaning packs will be less stressed. Better allround! The only problem with 4 * 6s is the voltage would be higher than 66.6. Crash heligod would not be impressed....lol

6. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

Ya . From memory they were using 2850's so cheap ..

Nick maxwell flying one

And timmy's

7. smakmeharder

So what ESC would they be using! that is nuts!!!!! no bog at all heaps of power....

8. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

Custom made by a guy . I was originally beta testing the 12s version - not for sale as yet

9. smakmeharder

Well when a 24S esc does come to furition and they start making motors for it the sky is the limit.. the only issue is however when you start to go near 100V , DC is deadly. You could easily die from electrocution!@ I would think...

10. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Me mate Quang Lee had his X7 on 24s he's one of the most aggressive pilots in Aus the zippy 45c packs he was using where doing the job fine

11. timmy

timmy Member

Just to clarify a few things

- The ESC essentially takes in 2x 12s inputs. You're not directly dealing with 100v DC unless you start opening up the ESC and touching the internals
      - The batteries we settled on were the zippy compact 2700mAh 35c's. A flight pack of 4x would set you back about $140, pretty cheap considering what most 12s 5000 batteries would cost you
      - Motors exist already but they are typically a custom order from Scorpion. We've tested 4530-300kv, 4530-270kv and 4530-250kv. I 270kv appears to be the sweet spot but 300kv is excellent too if you like a wild ride.

The x7 in the three vids posted above is my heli, we got Nick to fly it a couple of times and he really enjoyed the power. He said it 3D's much the same but when you want to punch it into FFF its acceleration is nuts. He literally said that X7 was faster than his TDR.

The ESC in my X7 is the only living one still going around at the moment. The maker of them has been busy with work and other things and hasn't gotten around to making the next hardware revision yet.

12. smakmeharder

@timmy, this looks to me as the future.... what do you think?