Question? Why Are Gobbys So Popular?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Oct 11, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Oct 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I have a goblin 700 and a TRex 700, i would give it to the goblin for looks and the way it flys. Thats just me, but this model is becoming pretty popular... Just why is the Gobby becoming so popular and why do you love it or loath it. Are Goblin still doing everything right? Is there things they could improve?

goblin-speed-yellow-detail.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Mark Mickels

Mark Mickels Well-Known Member

I like them due to both the distinct sound and the visibility.

2. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

There are some facts:
      - Goblin 700 was for $999. It was MAP. True price for distributors was $540 at that time.
      - Recently those kits were for $600 on sale.
      - Some say it is Ferrari - that makes me laugh
      - They are made in Asia not Italy. SAB refused to specify location of manufacturing. Looks like those Ferraris are made in Vietnam.
      - If you order parts directly from SAB you'll get shipment from Asia
      - Forums were cleaned of threads describing problems with Goblins (boomstrikes etc.)
      - They spend a lot on advertising
      - Bert lost his job and SAB offered him one. Good move he can fly great.
      - Tareq also flies well but he showed us not only Goblin but also Trekker, 700 DFC, Gaui X7 etc.
      - Many say other companies copy Goblin boom. Did they see F3C fuselage for Align 700? It was available years before Goblin was designed.
      - Many Goblin tail diameters are dirrect rip off from Align design.
      - SAB created a heli which is crashing expensive due to expensive canopy and tail.
      - Was anything original about Goblin design? Double stage main drive train was copied from TDR, DFC head etc.
      - at Helimasters 2014 Goblin did not especially shine, actually it crashed due to a failure. Am I right?
      - Santa sleight skids look awesome! ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

Classic answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. feral

feral Well-Known Member

I love the look of them but they fly like shiz

• Like Like x 1
      • Disagree Disagree x 1
      • List
    5. smakmeharder

I dunno, I rekon they fly pretty good. I have a high powered setup however. Initially i struggled to get the maneuverability i wanted but that was in my setup. So far they can handle what i throw at them, i was expecting boom strikes etc as i have been successful in achieving that trick in a couple of different models. How to they fly shiz @feral? to loose, too tight, not light enough?

6. feral

feral Well-Known Member

The 630 and 500 had head bobble that I couldnt tune out even with a perfect Spartan setup and higher than recommended headspeeds so much so that the boys named my 630 Noddy.
      My original G700 dfc flew the best out of all of them

7. smakmeharder

Lol, great name... So all CGs were fine? using standard head dampeners? BTW I have the original gobby as well. Heres a pic of your 630, noddy style

noddy-toys-and-helicopter-6350-2901_zoom.jpg

8. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

For $600 Goblin 700 was not bad deal. It is not bad heli. It is heavily overpriced like other big brands. Smackmeharder is not one of those arrogant Goblin owners saying Goblin is the best.

Actually Goblin is just airframe with blades. If you put fancy servos and decent blades on any 700 they fly great.

I do not buy a concept that flight characteristics depend on frame design especially in 700 and 800 class.

Important factors are:
      - final weight
      - servos (speed, force, centering, precision)
      - lenght of blades you put - I like to stretch 600 to 700 and 700 to 800 to get low disc load

I am not keen on Canomod canopies. I prefer fusuno by far.

9. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I can only really comment on the 570.. that flys very well... I have tuned it on the vortex and I have to say it left my old trex 550 for dead in flight characteristics... the tail I find holds very well... probably due to the oversized tails... which I had to mod my 550 to get to hold correctly....

Yep some parts look like that are off align.. but seriously who hasn't copied who at this point... it's one thing to say they copied old designs but they had to do something different it make it work or they would not be popular or have others coming back out with similar but different designs....

I am still tuning the g700 so can't talk about a comparison there.. but I will say that it has a huge presence in the sky...

I stayed away from then due to the boom... but I've heard from several people that you might trash the boom one in four crashes... as for the canopy... like other helis they ain't cheap... and like all you can fly a non prefect canopy...

I'll hold off the response till I feel I can compare my 700s..

In short.. most helis fly well... it has a lot to do with how you setup and maintain... I like align helis... think they fly awesome.. well v3 anyway... same would go for any heli... and with them crashing failing at heli master... let me just say... welcome to the Mikado demonstration.....

10. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I'll let you know how I go with my 630... this has me slightly worried

11. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Yeah smackers cg was fine stock head dampeners it was a brand new 630C kit.

The fit and finish of the 630c kit was shocking I had to replace 6 bolts olfrom standard

12. smakmeharder

Maybe there are some sus models @feral . I know for a fact the 570 is a gun and the 700 v1 is also good as well. @The Dude did not like his 500 v1, he did not like how it felt in the air. I flew his 500 and it felt a bit average to me. Felt like it needed to be bigger ie too heavy for its size. Give the 630 test when its ready @Manyc. I will bring down the noddy stickers...

13. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Hahahaha I think thats the case smackers the 700 v1 flew way better should never have sold that thing

14. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

at mrchc there are more goblins thin ever I love the look and the sound and they fly as good as any other heli once set up right my 700goblin has had a hard life and still keeps on going
      I cant complain and the same for my 570 its a animal on 12s pure smack machine

15. NevErSn0w

NevErSn0w Active Member

Gahbleins are thy sicknest of them all :p

but seriously, i just enjoy the visibility of them, they seem to have the presence in the air of a bigger heli mainly looks for me but meh, to each their own

16. josh

josh Active Member

I like the Goblin obviously because of the look of both canopy and boom. The quality is superb, unlike previously heli builds where I had parts not fit correctly and encountered a few manufacturing defects. The Goblin was perfect and the build just flew along nicely. These two reasons are just some of the many reasons why myself and many others love them.

17. Finky

Finky Member

Im at MARCS and we hardly have any goblins. there are maybe 2 and thats it at the moment. Its one of the helis that just came through and passed. Im not sure why it happened. I really like the look of them and how they fly but ive never owned one.

18. smakmeharder

Flew my gobby 700 in the arvo.... it is a sweet sweet machine. With the Xnova i hardly even felt there was a 30knot wind blowing over my shoulder. Power to spare.

19. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The quality varies, my green one is AOK, my red one, I think the work experience student drilled the holes in the canopy for the mounts, it's uneven and too high (both sides), or maybe it was done on Friday afternoon after the lunch time drinks
      Simon