Info Time For My First 700, Thanks Hallam Hobbies ..

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by The Dude, May 19, 2014.

By The Dude on May 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
  1. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Look out, Dont stand to close !

Going to pick up my first 700 off @Fredo down at hallam hobbies in a few hours.. Looked and looked at all different 700's, have been doing so for the last few months.. And i keep coming back again and again to the thunder tiger e700, Light, cheap, cheap on parts and so on .. All the things i have been looking for in a 700.

The OTHER BIG + for me is that Hallam Hobbies seems to be the sole distributor from what i can see for Victoria and is 20 mins drive from me, So WHEN i need parts, i'll just get on down to hallam hobbies and see fred and he will get me sorted out. Thanks buddy.. I'm sure i'll pay your rent over the coming months, lol

Hey, if anyone has any "VERY CHEAP" gear to go in it, I'm on the prowl .. As i have nothing as yet.. apart from the kit !

Cheers ..

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by The Dude, May 19, 2014.

1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Nice, I really like the quality of the TT, and a big whoopsie and you just have to replace the lower frames, perfect. Do they have the same 'put the driver through the holes to level the swash?' makes setup easy. I love that feature on the G4
      Simon

2. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Yes it does simon.
      what's with the lack of build process pictures you are that slack I had to
      come around my freaking self and take them and post them. Geeee
      Come on lift your game dude... lol

3. The Dude

@simon, yup all the same setup in that respect.. All i have to do now is the tail and then bang in the electronics and setup.. will be all done tonight, it's been a %100 Trouble free build..

4. The Dude

lol, My camera is broke man .. lol

5. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Lol yeah yeah like they say if you want it done right ya just gotta do it yourself.
      lol

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

You will love the setup, it's great, when jeff B showed me how it works, made me wonder why every one didn't do it. it's fast and easy to get it perfect.
      Simon

7. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

Good to see you bought of Fred, they still some good retailers out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Dude

Ok, Update....

First.. The quality of the TT e700 is SPOT on.. Don't think for one second cus it's a kit thats on the cheaper side that there's an issue with quality.. It's Perfect.. Very please.

Rotor head:
      The the rotor grip assembly is a three part system so chances are i will never need to replace a whole grip assembly. Just the post and/or the plate. Nice.. The head dampers are a very simple, yet affective
      design. It consists of a hard plastic outer casing with a smaller rubber insert. Should give many hours of trouble free service. The kit comes also comes with 4 different sized shims for each side of the rotor
      head to pre-load the thrust bearings. So you can get it just right. I found i only needed to use 1 per side, the thickest one's.

The mixing arms. The system uses two bearings and two collars witch you then fix to the lever via two button head screws. The design has literally no slop and runs very free, should remain this way for
      many many flights. The mixing arms mount directly to the head block unlike some other that mount to a washout base. Then just connect all the balls to the swash and rotor head.

Tail gear box:
      The design looks simple, effective and strong. Using helical tail gears up front and at the back. This will be a very strong, smooth and quite gear train. They supply you with shims to remove any vertical
      movement in the shaft. It's a perfect alignment and super smooth, like butter, NO slop or backlash.. Very nice.. They also have two additional screws above and below the bevel gear on the case to really clamp it
      down to prevent it from moving.

Frame assembly:
      This design uses two half frames joined in the middle to make up the whole frame. So the top half on both sides will house all your electronics, servo's, motor etc.. and then there is a bottom piece which will house
      your batteries and where the skids and boom supports will attach.

I like this design as when if you put it in, you almost always break your skids and this can sometimes break off a piece of the frame as well. With the a single one piece frame design this could mean a whole
      frame replacement, If that were to happen here we would just need to replace one or both of the bottom half's and not have to touch the top section with all the servo's and electronics. Nice !

Anyway is just a matter of attaching all the bits and pieces to the frames. They frames are marked left and right so you don't mix them up. You can also secure your motor to the motor mount at this stage.

Anyway now its just a matter of getting the other bits ready. Elevator arm, radio tray, gyro mount etc.. The frames then come together easy and you are good to screw them in. The rest is pretty much self
      explanatory.

Skids:
      I was asked in a pm about the skids, I like them, they look cool.. The skids are shaped this way to allow for the battery tray install/removal from the heli. It's simple and quick to change packs, like 10 seconds...

So the packs are strapped to the tray using the velcro straps provided. Then you simply slide the tray in underneath the boom support brace, Through the drop down sections in the skid and feed it toward the front
      of the heli. (Packs load in from the back, No removal of the canopy :) The tray has two forks in the front witch locate and hold the front section of the tray in place. Once that is secured you simply lift the rear
      of the tray up and it clips onto the cross brace. SIMPLE !!

Assembly, Simple just 4 bolts and 4 grub screws and this step is done. The caps for the skids just slip in and are a press fit.

Main Gear / Rotor head:

Main gear assembly and rotor head install. TT have opted for a herringbone main gear on this heli. This is because herringbone gears transfer power very smoothly as there is more surface area and you have 2 teeth in mesh
      at any one point. (So i read ! ) They are also very quiet and strong. This gear has 128 teeth and the pinion is a 13 tooth stock in the kit.

This assembly is pre-assembled. I will be stripping it down to ensure thread lock has been used and the one way has been greased. (I build helis then strip them down and do all that, just the OCD in me...)

" (I don't take credit for this next paragraph of text i found it on the net and copied it into a text file, cant remember from where but...) The next step is to slide the main rotor head down through the bearings and install the main
      and auto gear. TT use a collar with two bolts just under the top bearing block to prevent movement. This can be a pain to install but i found out there is an easy way to do it. Just remove the top bearing block completely, slide it
      on the main shaft, then slide the collar on and lock it in place with the two screws. Now you can slide the whole assembly down through the bottom main shaft bearing and through the main gear assembly. Then secure the top
      bearing block leaving the screws slightly loose, pull the shaft up till the collar hits the bearing block and the hole in the shaft and auto gear will line up perfect. This will make it easier to install the two M4 bolts in the auto hub.
      Now you can push down on the top bearing block (the holes in the frame are elongated) to remove and end float and tighten the bolts.

You can now clip on your pre made (non adjustable) ball links. And if you put your drivers through the bell cranks and through the holes, your main shaft will be perfectly level (ME > ) (Well so they say.. i found it to be 0.2 deg
      out on the elevator, was easy to fix.. Via CGY setup)

Now check the gear mesh. This was pretty easy as when i bottom out the pinion on the bearing block, it sit perfectly in line with the gear. Mesh is perfect..

Tail:
      Not sure what to say, Was simple, Overall a very quick and simple tail assembly to put together. Kind of a no brainier. Good instructions helped a lot.

Final Thoughts:
      Not really a complete build thread . But just wanted to give people a few ideas on things, overall it was a fantastic build that i really enjoyed, it went together very quick and i did not run into even ONE little issue, Fantastic quality, and
      everything fits PERFECT.. Note: I love the quality of the screws, very nice, all the frame screws have torx head screws, so they are a lot stronger than the normal hex type..

Servos are in of course, Just have to do, speedy, bec and final setup.. I have grabbed a set of halo mains and tails from zen RC to try them out..

Special Thanks to:

@Fredo form hallam hobbies for helping me out and stocking a great kit and parts
      @5Fidy for a good deal on some second hand servo to get me going, And dropping them off and drinking all my coffee, How goods that :)
      @Radar for a good deal on the motor and again dropping it off for me... :) Thanks Mate..
      @ZEN RC for looking after me on a set of blades and posting them SUPER quick, Great Service...
      @smakmeharder for letting me buy back my packs i sold him a few weeks back as i thought i'd have no use for them

And to you lot for taking an interest :)

Cheers ...

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    9. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Jesus man some pics would have done man not a written review as big as war and piece. Lol
      Pfhtt drink all your coffee you only made me one then you got ray to make me AND you another. Lol
      sounds good buddy it's always wicked fun building a new heli but the best bit is still yet to come
      that's spooling it up and lifting off to that first hover buddy especially a 700 electric I hope I am there
      mate...
      ps fix that bloody camera.
      lol

10. Jeff_Bradley

Can we see it smack at the queens birthday bash

11. The Dude

@5Fidy.. lol @Jeff B yup will be there but will be flying it like a pussy.. unlike my mini p..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

12. Jeff_Bradley

Cool a bit of luck I will have my new mini p up and going by them too

13. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Sweet

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Hey @Jeff B I think I'm on to VP Nitro and VP methanol - cool. Will know tomorrow
      Simon

15. Jeff_Bradley

Wicked let me know?