Throttle Pitch Dual Rates And Expo For Fc3 Hovering

Discussion in 'F3C HeliGod' started by Stuart, Aug 25, 2014.

By Stuart on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:36 AM
  1. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

@FC3 HeliGod I was wondering if pilots flying FC3 hovering manoeuvres use any special TX setups as compared to a standard one for 3D flight.

Comments

Discussion in 'F3C HeliGod' started by Stuart, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Ant

Ant Guest

On my F3C models, I setup the pitch to be slightly flattened around the hover point so that the stick to collective ratio is quite small. For aeros, I use a straight line pitch curve.
      In normal hover, D/R for cyclic is 50% with 15% expo. I use stunt 1 for hovering in windier conditions and the differences are that HS is ramped up by 100rpm and D/R for cyclic is set at 55% with 20% expo. Stunt 2 for aeros, I am using D/R at 80% with 10% expo.

2. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I have an idle up 3 i dont set.. thinking I need to make this an f3c specific setup, as this will obviously help with the maneuvers for gold wings...

3. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

For serious hovering .. half stick hover position. 8 + & -2 . Nice low h.s. like 1600 rpm .
      I have bank #2 setup for f3c on my X7 using vbar

4. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Great, I might experiment with some modified settings. Want to get a nice setup for the hovering manoeuvres for the bronze and gold wing tests.

I have a futaba 14SG and it has a setting to manage hovering pitch so I may look at that more closely to see what it is capable of.

Would you recommend governing the HS or jus a flat curve.

5. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Governed definitely

6. Stephen

Stephen Member

I flew a session with @Ant and changed my hovering setting to his recommended flatter middle curve and instantly had much better hovering.

7. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

Yes def the gov as you'll get a nice consistent h.s.... go with a low gain to prevent surging - I use 8-10 on vbar

8. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Hey @Ant or @ScottE can either of you pits a pic of you TX settings for the flatter pitch settings?

9. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

now theres another idea... I may setup a bank switch as "sports" mode on the Brain... dull it down a bit... now I need
      Bank 1 - normal flying at idle1
      Bank 2 - top headspeed at idle2
      Bank 3 - F3C at idle3

I have programming to get onto

10. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Setup the TX with the @Ant config. Hovering at mid stick. Fairly flat pitch curve around mid stick and 50% dual rates and 20%expo across ELE, AIL and RUD. Very tame heli now. Hovers especially nice.

Warning is to watch what pitch curve you have in throttle hold. I had a straight curve in TH and no dual rates so when I flick hold about a meter off the ground coming in to land.. Smack straight into the deck. Fortunately no damage. TH curve and rates now match the hover curve and rates and are in a model in the TX on their own.

Learnt that lesson quick.

11. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

Stuart,

I was adopting the same approach for landing for a very longtime until a very knowledgeable flyer (I think you know him :) ) advised me you shouldn't be throttle holding for landing, only after you've landed.

I struggled with this as I always throttle holded just of the ground.
      Im keen to hear everyones thoughts on this as im a bit mixed up on this. Ill open a separate thread on this.

Currently I have throttle hold set to -100 / +100 pitch and only ever use to cut after landing not for landing.

12. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Yep, see my response to your other post...