Banter The Pits - Banter Section

Discussion in 'The Pits' started by hgnimda, Jan 25, 2015.

By hgnimda on Jan 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM
  1. hgnimda

hgnimda Ray - Administrator Staff Member

This section is intended for people to have bit of friendly banter and discussion. Please no direct personal individual attacks. Everything in this section is to be taken toungue in cheek - if you are easily offended do not participate in this section - it is meant for fun and can be a little controversial providing you abide by all civil laws. Enjoy.

Comments

Discussion in 'The Pits' started by hgnimda, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I have seen a flying "FU##" for sale on a novelty site before.... it was actually a light weight plastic shell of the word "FU##" with a small coaxial rotor set-up in it, and a small remote....... so goes the question: Would you give a flying fu##?:rolleyes:

2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I have seen that too. There is a YouTube video of some guy flying one during a political meeting. The politicians were all trying to smack it out of the air as it flew over them. It was hilarious

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Wow... I forgot about that!!

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Anyway... It flies okay. It's only slightly heavier than stock canopy. I had to adjust it a little for being slightly nose-heavy, but then again, It may be back to neutral since it was slightly tail heavy from converting to aluminum tail boom and extending it by 35mm... negligible effect on lift and fly-time.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    5. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

That is so good. You could even paint it up or put stickers on it if you wanted... or even better canopy lights!! Very clever though i must say.

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It's a prototype..... I'm going to find a better bottle before I go further with it.

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

WP_20150216_003.jpg :DNevermind the plastic bottle, too noisy- acts like a resonance chamber for motor and gear noise. Went with aluminum can and a couple of strips of gorilla tape inside to deaden the noise...... much quieter. Save a whale, hug a tree.... recycle! (I'm really not that "green")

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    8. smakmeharder

The human spirit of endevour! Go forth and continue @Beaver! You could actually form a tin can as well i imagine (cut the alunimum and form it on some sort of home made dye?).

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

(pic finally uploaded) ... I was thinking metal primer and then fluorescent green paint for better visibility. It's a Monster Energy can and I was going to use the painted side with the "M" logo, but decided on reversing it since black is hard to see.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    10. smakmeharder

Oh wow! looks like a starwars type droid! It also has stealth capabilities with the sharp angles and stuff. Not too bad at all. Very clever @Beaver.

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Shuttle-CHRON_jpg.jpg
      Point taken, @smakmeharder.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Since there's no activity on this thread anyway............. "Cut and fold" canopy Version 2 made from Lexan semi-rigid clear plastic sheet, primed and painted. Aluminum worked great, but too susceptible to dents and dings. Lexan prototype 1.jpg Lexan prototype 2.jpg Tail boom extended 30mm to get tail rotor out from under main rotor for improved response. Will be adding 185mm (200srx)blades next.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    13. smakmeharder

Yes.... very very very cool... and looking more like an xwing.. How does it look in the air? The old 120SR is a great helicopter, i cut my teeth on this heli years ago and wish i had a neverending supply of canopies like this one. You are very resourceful beaver...

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Flies good enough, doesn't look bad. Definitely no tail blow-out with 30mm extension, especially with 600mAh 35c lipo. I'll have to shoot some video of it.

15. smakmeharder

I got some 120 SR parts if you are interested... frame/tail, 2 sets of blades in bags, 1 new canopy in packaging, feather shafts mainshaft, main drive etc... if you want these just let me know and if you pay delivery, only the petrol to get me to the post office will be suffice. Send you a photo if you like @Beaver . At least i know the parts would be loved and used...

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I may go for that. Will contact you later.

17. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but the 120sr somehow seems representative of how a Hughes 500 would fly.

18. smakmeharder

Yes its one of those smaller helicopters that has a big presence. IE it feels big and really i had so much fun flying my 120SR. It was the sort of heli i could really relax with and truly enjoy. Excellent for learning orientations. Yes there will allways be a soft spot for 120SR in my heli-heart...

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yes, it's been helpful for learning, and good for brainless leisure flying... especially indoors when the weather isn't cooperative.

20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

To answer your question of how it looks in the air:
      (with 10kph wind)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015