Build Thread The Copter X Files

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

By Beaver on Dec 20, 2015 at 6:27 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Comments

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

As the addiction worsens!!! this is the beginning of many great things to come @Beaver...

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I get high with a little help from my friends....... you guys enabled this addiction! :p

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm considering making some stickers like this to mark my fleet. :p
      crash3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I managed to get another outdoor flight in finally, except it was at night. Oddly enough, between the LEDs in the Kbar on top and the Sat Rx on bottom, I didn't have a problem keeping orientation. There was plenty of ambient light around also. I may have to put a couple more LEDs on the bird, but no more-so than what I did on the 120SR to keep it at a minimal weight.

• Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
      • List
    5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Along with multiple packs, I will definitely have to invest in a better charger! While the 800mA charger I'm using may be easier on the packs, its not easy on my patience. :p

6. smakmeharder

Oh yeah better a charger and batteries is where its at. I have 11 batteries for my 380 goblin. It means i can rock up to a field and fly for a relaxed hour if i choose. Its also why i like my 380... i take it everywhere with me. Its my baby. Without my 380 i feel incomplete...

7. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm I noticed your new avatar @Beaver. Don't you want me to visit anymore? After drinking your beer and sending your helicopter on a round trip across the globe I thought you would miss my antics. I like the way your new heli is flying. You are doing very well. No need to be nervous... muah ha ha ha

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

:p

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Happy New Year! (Those of you who are already there)

10. smakmeharder

happy new year @Beaver!. This year will be a big one for you!.

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ah, yes...... what better way to start the year but with a freshly built 450! :D:D
      Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I found part of the little problem with the slight tail oscillation. Seems the linkage at the tail grips was binding ever so slightly, just enough to put the tail servo in a slight hysterisys loop.
      Also, as I was checking things, I found that the screws in the main feathering spindle were starting to work loose! More Loctite! Good thing I've gotten myself in the habit of doing thorough pre-flight checks..... That was a disaster waiting to happen! :eek:

• List
    13. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Happy new year to you guys. @Beaver I check my heli often. Im to afraid of screws coming loose.. I check the tail the most because there are the smallest screws and you can not put on much loctite.

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Actually, I did manage to get too much Loctite on the link pin screws. It was bound up worse than before when the Loctite set up in the bushings, so I had to clean and reset those. New strategy: put the Loctite in the threaded hole instead of on the screw.

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I also found that tightening the main feathering spindle screws put too much compression on the dampeners, so I removed two thin shims at the thrust bearings to lessen the pressure. The compression was uneven, causing the grips to be off center and throwing the head off balance.

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Nailed it! Zero tail wag, rotor balanced, all the important screws secured (again)......
      Just finished a flight with no mechanical annoyances whatsoever. Response is right on...... Now I can just fly. :D

17. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Yes please do @Beaver... fly!!! Its great to see that you have double checked everything. I am coming over to your place now to check out your new heli!

• Crash Curse Crash Curse x 1
      • List
    18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

You kept your word...... evidently. :p
      Nothing demonstrates the kinetic energy in a 450 main rotor better than seeing both main blades impaled 10cm into the dirt! :eek:
      I'm not sure if it was the glare of daylight or the unpredicted gust of wind..... or both, but I lost orientation for a moment, and the thing almost got away from me, but I managed to get it back in my general vicinity before it went in..... about 3 meters from where I was standing! :eek:
      There was minimal damage:
      Feathering spindle, main shaft, main gear, tail shaft, bottom frame plate....... all replaceable at minimal cost and already ordered within the US as of this post, thanks to some creative online shopping.
      No worries...... It was bound to happen sooner or later, though I would have preferred later.
      Thanks for christening my 450 for me, @Crash Heligod. :rolleyes:

• List
    19. smakmeharder

Yeah @Crash Heligod got me as well beaver.... on new years eve. I just got my parts today so i will be back in the air in no time. It only takes a minute to fix a 380. So few parts... Sorry to hear about the crash. It sounds as if you were enjoying it.

20. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Remember @Beaver throttle hold is you friend. Crashing is inevitable, damage minimization is not - if you have lost control, throttle hold (Rule 1)
      Simon

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List