Build Thread The Copter X Files

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

By Beaver on Dec 20, 2015 at 6:27 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Comments

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

You will find as you progress that higher headspeed is a lovely thing to have. Gives you greater control - unfortunately at the expense of flight time.

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Okay. So the High/Low (gov) switch worked as I suspected it would. At the present setting, I get around 3000 at 3S high and around 2000 at 3S Low, which is also same as 2S High. 2S Low is entirely too slow and will barely even get the 450 airborne and tail blows out at slightest collective bump.
      I also need to reset the ESC throttle response to slower acceleration. When I switched from 3S low to high speed, the sudden head acceleration kicked the tail around 45°. Slowing the acceleration should fix this.
      According to the throttle scale in Vstabi, the range is 40% to to 140%, but with this ESC, full throttle starts at 80% with no increase beyond that. That being said, if 40% is producing near 1000 rpm drop from full throttle at 80%, then setting 60% should produce a 500 rpm reduction, or a range of 3S - 3000/2500 and 2S - 2000/1500. We shall see. :cool:

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm already running in the neighborhood of 3000 rpm at full on 3S. I usually reserve that speed for when I want to do flips/inversions and such. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a slightly bigger pinion though.... going from 3500Kv 9T/121T to maybe 11T, which by my calculations, will put H.S. at just above 3500. The main reason for this is that I'm considering another ESC/BEC combo that has a working internal governor so I can run the bigger pinion and dial down the governor to 3000 rpm so that the 500 rpm lost will allow for ESC/GOV headroom.
      It sounds good in theory based on what I've read so far.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ah.... they tempt me with a 3-blade Goblin 570.
      I had contemplated the idea of a 3-blade 450 head. First round of search did not reveal a floating 3-blade head assembly, only rigids. I do not want a scale-type rigid head with flexible blades.
      I did find a 4-blade floating head (allegedly suitable for 3D), but not so sure I want to go that far.
      Further study is needed. :p

5. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

so I ordered a couple of belts from different sellers on ebay, and I noticed they are not all the same sizes.

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

What model do you have again? Most 450 SE/Plus/Sport/and some Pro all use the same size belts if I'm not mistaken. 480 stretched helis and whatever the ones are with the belt driven direct from the main shaft (like a CopterX Black Angel) use longer belts.
      Then there is the EBay phenomenon where occasionally misprints and typos happen.
      I think the only error Ive made ordering parts was the first time I ordered feathering shafts and ended up with the shorter ones for an older flybared head. oops. That was before I figured out that the CX450SE-v3 head was a "Pro" type head
      Many hours of reading and cross-referencing part numbers pays off in the long run. :D

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Uh-oh.
      There's a Blade 450-3D BNF in good condition with spare parts somewhere for $110/shipped. I may have to go ahead and get it.
      I wouldn't do it, but parts are still readily available at the LHS.
      Yes, its fly barred, but that can be remedied easy enough.... plus, it will be good to have a spare heli should the CX450 be temporarily grounded. If it flies anything like it does on the SIM, I might leave it as is. :) C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_IMG_20160518_075212.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    8. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

sounds like a plan :D

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Frack! It was hovering just fine in the front yard, then it went for a tree and wasn't responding to cyclic correction..... I had to ditch it on the roof. Time for new servos and blades.
      Now would be a good time for the B450 to arrive, but it won't be here for a few days yet.
      Thanks @Crash Heligod ........ you boney b@$t@rd. IMG_20160612_153515126.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
      • List
    10. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

Sorry to hear of your crash Beaver, did you have a brownout?? Anything in the logs for voltage rail

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Haven't checked logs yet. It kinda acted like an aileron servo hung up. It started to drift right, and wouldn't go left no matter how much left stick I put on it. I had no choice but to cut throttle last second. Then I had to go on the roof to retrieve the 450.

12. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Ahhh @Beaver . Such endeavour - such tenacity. Sometimes things (flights) go quite the way we plan. However take resolve in the fact that I am really starting to take a shine to clones as well!

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It might have gone the way YOU planned. Crash landing on the roof was never part of my plan! Go pour yourself a nice refreshing glass of hydrofluoric acid, and have a drink. Cheers. :p

14. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

I drank hydrofluoric acid years ago... kinda explains my current complexion! mauh ha ha ha...

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Take a bath in it then...... a nice long soaking.

16. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

don't antagonize him Beaver, he's a bad man. He doesn't care if you have a brick with rotor blades on it, he will take it down. He's not a good guy to have behind your shoulder.

17. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

He drew first blood. :p

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

...... anyway.....
      I'll be ordering a new batch of servos and new blades tomorrow. This time I'll go with Corona DS919MG cyclic servos.
      So far, the DS319MG tail servo has been reliable, so why not. I haven't made up my mind what main blades to get just yet.
      My B450-3D is supposed to be shipped tomorrow.

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Cyclic servos and main blades for the 450SE are ordered, but will probably be a week in transit.
      Most likely the old (new to me) B450-3D flybar bird should arrive end of this week before the CX450 parts arrive. Meanwhile, at least I still have micros to fly.

20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

New cyclic servos have arrived. Now I can begin the process of putting the CX450SE back the way it was.... or better than it was, along with a 4000Kv motor. I'll put the FBL head and K-Bar back on now that I have a new Tx on the way, then I can put the flybar back on the B450-3D and set up a proper swash mix till I get another FBL setup for it.... but that's to be covered in the Blade thread. :D:D