Build Thread The Copter X Files

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

By Beaver on Dec 20, 2015 at 6:27 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Comments

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I found that some of the gears - if wobly - did not "appear" to have a big effect. IE it just looked bad..

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Right..... I was more concerned with it being noisy than anything else. Aside from flying well, I want the thing to look good and sound good too. Noises tend to indicate something is not right in my experience.
      Where appearances go, I'm still working g on that as well. Tonight I routed the servo wiring. What I could not hide inside the frame, I sheathed in heat shrink tubing (not heated) as well as the ones inside the frame where they run past the mainshaft. I have yet to shorten them. IMG_20151221_011244144.jpg IMG_20151221_011012613_HDR.jpg

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Well..... This may work out well. I sent an Email to EHirobo about the incorrect model being "SE" instead of "AE", and that the pinions were missing. I also said that I was willing to overlook the incorrect model issue if they would send me the pinions by "express shipping" as I need them to complete the model.
      They emailed back just now that they are processing the order. I'm still going pinion hunting at the LHS tomorrow, just in case it takes 20 days for the ordered ones to get here.:rolleyes:

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to protect your wires with some double sided velcro like the image (buy align strips), it stops the cable tie wearing through the wires under vibration (keeps @Crash Heligod at bay)
      See image - no need to worry about the cable sheath, that's for aesthetics. And hot glue the servo pugs into the FBL as well
      Simon
      wiring.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
      • List
    5. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Very nice! I can`t wait to see some flight videos. :) Here is another crash immunity, just for good measure.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ah! The Heligods smiled upon me today!
      I went to the LHS to find pinions, and there were none out on the part racks. But the owner just happened to have a set of 11 and 13 tooth pinions in a little stash box behind the counter. :D:D

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I find the LHS lack of Align 450 parts........ Disturbing.
      They have dozens of TT gears though. No good to me.
      They have Blade parts falling out of their..........ears.
      If I was into Traxxas ground vehicles, I'd never have to order parts. :confused:

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

EHirobo is sending me the 11/12t pinions from their USA warehouse. I already have 11/12 pinions, so all said and done I'll have a full range of 11/12/13t pinions to play with. I'm thinking of starting off with the 11t so the heli shouldn't be too squirrelly as I get acquainted with it. Is my logic sound here? (Keep your comments to yourself, @Crash Heligod)

9. simon

simon Well-Known Member

You understand gearing, you have the bits, now go play and enjoy. Be aware that align (and I'm guessing clones) don't like a low headspeed, indications of this are nodding - so don't go to low
      Simon

10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Initial calculations put headspeed at 2850rpm at full throttle (idle up) using 11t on 150t main gear with 3500 Kv motor and 11.1v pack at 38850rpm motor rpm. Of course that will be less under load I assume.
      I toyed with headspeed on the 450s in the sim. I didn't like it below about 2500.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    11. smakmeharder

A high head speed will give you more responsiveness but too low will cause the heli to feel like a sponge - ie your in a difficult position but you cannot recover because your heli cannot respond quick enough. Its really the Goldilocks syndrome here. Not to low, not too high - you must use what is right. That way you end up with just the right amount of responsiveness. This again is subjective based on your flying ability. If you can fly a nano, you will be fine using the standard pinion. Infact you will be amazed how stable and in control it feels. You only have to overcome the mental aspect of it. And this can only be overcome by experience and flight sim practice.

12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Standard...... as in the 13t? That one puts headspeed at about 3360 by the math.
      Hmmm.... (thinking)....... You might be right. That fast twitchy Nano response has helped me avoid many collisions with walls.... and I have been running about 3500 on the sim. I'll start with the 11t just to see how it goes. It will only take about 5 minutes to change to a 13t pinion.

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ugh! That main gear..... out of concentric just enough to be annoying when setting the pinion to the maingear.
      Anyway, motor set, ESC installed finally. Now to tame those servo leads. :cool: IMG_20151223_244829903_HDR.jpg

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I spooled up the rotor to full throttle and gently lathed the high spot on the main gear with a box cutter blade, then used a small wedge file to correct the pitch depth of the teeth. It's nice and even all the way around now. :cool:

15. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Very nice to hear @Beaver! Its a lovely looking helicopter!!!

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

??? Uh..... Thanks. ....... o_O

17. smakmeharder

Your correct @Beaver 3360 rpm wont be a dynamic rpm. It will be around 3100 - which i think will be ok.... You may find the 11 tooth a bit under responsive - but on the upside it might give you more confidence. The thing is, a simple pinion change can make a world of difference

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ground test, no main blades:
      Everything seems to work as expected. I don't like the vibration in the tail rotor. I'll be looking into that next. Blades could be out of balance, I'll spool it up again shortly without tail blades and see if anything changes. It's close to being ready. :D

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So that tail problem may have been that the tail blades were binding on the grip screws. Installation of the last few items such as boom supports and battery, all bearings properly lubed, the bird is now complete.
      One final run of the Kbar to finalize the setup by setting the gains, increasing the swash agility a bit closer to what I was accustomed to with the Nano CPx, and duplicate copying all the memory banks the same.... for now.
      Weather permitting, maiden flight will be tomorrow.
      Weather not permitting, it might only be a few minutes of hovering in the shop. Either way, the bird will fly tomorrow.
      Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings, Happy Heli-days to you all. :D:D:D IMG_20151223_233328959.jpg IMG_20151223_233500857.jpg

• Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Good thing I decided to do maiden flight in shop. 3:45 minutes in, the one-way bearing started slipping in the hub. ........... Red Loctite setting up right now, will try again shortly.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015