Revolectrix "honesty" Dc Ir Meter Review

Discussion in 'Nabils Corner' started by gonehelimad, Jun 13, 2017.

By gonehelimad on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:56 AM
  1. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

Hey all check out my latest video on my channel

In this video we review the latest "Honesty" Lipo IR Battery meter
    /checker from Revolectrix which is based on providing consistent battery ir readings similiarly to the Wayne Giles checker.

This video provides in depth review and details around the new ir meter

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Nabils Corner' started by gonehelimad, Jun 13, 2017.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Very handy tool. But interestingly which one do you think is the more accurate? There is still roughly 5-10% variation? Nice video by the way.

2. gonehelimad

I hear where you are coming from @smakmeharder .

Far be it for me to comment on the battery from an electrical engineering perspective (i am a mere mech engineer :)), however, the interesting thing is that when i compared a few different batteries on the revolectric ir meter and my icharger, the ir readings are generally less consistent across all cells on the revolectrix meter, but my icharger seems to show ir readings in a more linear / uniform manner. Even for older packs. Perhaps this is a false representation of the actual cell states.

My initial thoughts are that the icharger because it applies a higher charge current to the pack to obtain ir readings (in the case of my video 2C is appied 6.6A, it is potentially giving rise to more uniform readings, whereas the IR meter from Rev. is applying only battery power (ie the battery is not in charge mode or pulsed with as high an amp to obtain the ir readings. So they are potentially truer of the real cell battery state.

Perhaps John Grazo can comment more, however so far i do find it to be indicating slightly higher ir readings to that obtained from both my thunder power and the icharger.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    3. Ben

Ben Member

I also thought that to get an accurate IR reading the packs needed to be full charged and not just at storage voltage.

4. gonehelimad

The video captures ir readings at 50% for comparison purposes. However Ben you are correct that ir readings are typically measured at full charge.

The more important aspect is to ensure any ir reading logs or records are always taken at equivalent battery charge positions for better trending.

ie ir readings in morning typically are higher compared with warmer batteries. So to for battery charge state and ambient conditions.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

5. REVOJohn

REVOJohn New Member

here is the different

Chargers will measure the IR different in between rest periods (milli secs) during the charge process. Every charger will have different sampling rates and depending on the input V, SOC and charge rate the readings will vary for sure.
      Thats why we based our IR meter on the Wayne Giles meter but did a 6S 1 shiz readout. DC IR is the best way to compare on a stable level on all your own packs, and of course against all other readings you read about on the net. We have since posted the IR values of our packs on our website too. 50% SOC is the fairest place to test them at to we think............................

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    6. REVOJohn

REVOJohn New Member

anwyay hope you all enjoy and if you can think of any more options we could design into it pls feel free to ask

7. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Personally (and i have not seen working for real - only the review) i would like just an indicator of quality. For example - for people who dont understand much about ir. For example if all cells < 2ohms an indicator staying "Battery in Excellent condition OR good for hard 3d/speed flying" - 2 -4 ohms "Battery in ok condition ". Of course the indicator would have to measure the worst cell in order to come up with the right message. Just an idea.

8. REVOJohn

REVOJohn New Member

interesting idea but too hard to implement as too many flight options and 1 battery could be used for many applications..........
      what we really wanted was to compare pack to pack for the same capacity of pack