Professionally Built Rc Heli Claim?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by HungryHungryHippos, Apr 25, 2017.

By HungryHungryHippos on Apr 25, 2017 at 11:41 AM
  1. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

While occasionally looking through RC classifieds around the web, I have seen people selling their RC helicopter claiming that their helicopter is Professionally Built.

Should people be making this claim?

To me, that would mean someone conforming to a technical standard, so for instance, to claim to be a professional one would need to be an aircraft mechanic.

I know there are qualified aircraft mechanics in this hobby, so yes they can make this claim.

I have occasionally seen a properly built RC helicopter on classifieds, where, they did things like cut and crimp the servo wires to the exact length, used proper braiding for the servo wires, heat shrunk the ends, cable tied everything neatly, etc etc. So, if they used all the right thread locker, grease, tightened everything just right, not so tight you will round the screws when you go to undo them, and balanced all the blades etc. I think those people can make that claim.

But, as for other classified ads, which I have seen an average built finish in terms of the wiring etc, and the fact these days you can only put together a modern rc helicopter together in so many different ways, i.e. one, how can someone claim to built a helicopter professionally?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by HungryHungryHippos, Apr 25, 2017.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Personally i think people make this claim when they want to capture the interest of newcomers. If you know little about RC helicopters and someone makes this claim it might be enough to make them push the "BUY" button. But for an experienced heli pilot they will often go over a build prior to flying secondhand equipment regardless of the claim.

I feel the way you have stated it is more relevant - ie rather than using a blanket term "professionally built". If the ad contained details such as "properly crimped servo wires, thread locker (even stating color would be relevant) used on all bolts, blades balanced - tuned for a very loose cyclic and fast tail. That is more useful for experienced pilots - but might scare the beginner away.

The term professional is so loose and incorrectly used by a number of companies. For example you look at the website development area like weebly-godaddy. Build a professional website in 5 minutes. Nothing could be further from the truth - but because its subjective (ie the average person would not know about structure-code-so-extensability) they get away with it.

Its true what you say and sometimes its un-ethical. But it sucks some people in - and that's why people do it.

2. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

professional build or otherwise. i personally cannot fly with confidence relying on someone elses touch.

it has to be mine and i have to know everything about the heli.

no ifs or buts.....

claims of professional builds have little to no value in this context

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

We have several hobby stores here, which do full builds and setups for those who don`t want to, or don`t know how to build. I think that some of the "professionally built" claims could stem from that type of service. Personally, the professionally built claim holds little value with me. So I do a total tear down on any helicopter I buy used. I even tore the X3 I got from Bobby down, to make sure it was right.

4. smakmeharder

There is no standard for building a heli apart from the instruction manual which varies from model to model. As @gonehelimad and @Geena state, complete overhaul is the best thing after purchase even if the claim of professional build is made.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Unless you are slack like me and can't be arsed. The first thing I do is bind it and go flying... Wrong I know but true
      Simon..

6. ernie81

ernie81 Member

Best at time management @simon . If it comes down then you'll be worrying about rebuilding

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

7. simon

simon Well-Known Member

True @ernie81 , but they haven't (as yet - {through mechanical fault}) , and yes, not a fan of rebuilding either - I just like flying (the type of kid that licks the metaphorical cream of the cake and leaves the rest)...
      Simon

8. simon

simon Well-Known Member

ps. wish I was a kid again :(

9. ernie81

ernie81 Member

My wife wishes I would grow up [emoji23][emoji1]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10. Richard Knapp

Richard Knapp Active Member

IMO:
      Even a BNF I give a once over. One persons 1mm is another's 1.25mm or .89mm. Even with digital tools. To much subjective.

Even manuals are a great "factory starting point", BUT not the "Golden have to" for things like link length and wire routing.
      Again these may very per tune and subjectivity even down to how tight you make the screws. Order you tighten the screws.
      There is "Attention to detail" and there is "Over thinking it."

Not all great pilots are great builders or tuners.
      Not all great tuners are great builders or pilots.
      Not all great builders are great pilots or tuners.

For this reason I love the way reputable people help out. Paid or for free.

It's up to the owner to understand and admit their week points.

Heck I can build a vib free heli first time, every time. I stink at tuning and only fly Scale-Mild 3D.

I became manager for Lynx/OXY and its form my management skills. It sure didn't come from my stick skills. lol

OK I'm done now. lol ;)

11. smakmeharder

I should practice what i preach but i am more like simon. Eyeball most things, run my hex driver over critical bolts - do a quick orientation swash check and fly. So if it is not right, i usually fly around it...lol. I am more of a flyer than mechanic for sure. Thats why I choose models which dont need much maintenance and can be spanked quite hard. But @Richard Knapp is spot on with his categorization. I think most of us fall into one of the three catagories he hightlights.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I agree with both @smakmeharder and @Richard Knapp for the most part. I would only re-write the "good pilot" with "having fun as a pilot". I don't care how good I am (compared to what?) but what I want to do after a week at work is grab a heli and have some fun, it's a truly meditative state when you lock it in (for whatever level you are, or what trick you may be learning)..
      Just my random thoughts
      Simon