New Kds Heli - Chase 350 - Pics And Info

Discussion in 'KDS Model' started by Glen, Apr 30, 2014.

By Glen on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM
  1. Glen

Glen Active Member

Designed by Australian Engineer - Me :) After 2 yrs of having to keep it hush hush here she is.

01.jpg 02.jpg 05.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 10.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'KDS Model' started by Glen, Apr 30, 2014.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

WHOA... Hold it right there @Glen ... No continue! that looks totally awesome! do you have specifications for this beasty? How much does it weigh? Thats a unique drive train..MORE INFO MORE INFO.... You designed this? Any youtube vids?

2. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

So chase 350, but it's a 450 size heli ? Looks really nice... Only thing i see that could be better is the packs could have slid out the back, Looks like there was room for that, That way the canopy could stay on ?

3. HeliGods

Any videos of it in action , yet ?

4. HeliGods

I wonder what the canopy's will look like

5. Glen

Glen Active Member

According to my scales it was the same weight as the gaui X3 i compared it to. (I forget the exact numbers), im pretty happy i managed to achieve that with no plastic, any variation will come down the canopy weight.

I wanted a drive train that would suit any kv motor and headspeed wanted, a 2 stage system is required for this, this manages around 7:1 to 20:1 +... Assuming KDS make all the first and second stage pinion options there will be no motor that will not work at any HS wanted.

I also wanted it to be able to handle big power, specifically the power of the 12S scorp prototype motor I have as im convinced 12s will become a common option even on this size heli there are currently no ESC that can manage this 1010 12 poll 12s motor apart from the custom programmed castle ESC i have. Ill let the designer of this motor talk about that, but ONLY a belt drive train can handle the power, he was stripping double stacked main gears in his custom rig in an effort to test the motor. But that 12s Project has been put on hold awaiting a heli that can handle it as well as fit the lipos.. All been well, this is the heli to do the job...
      The belt drive systems also direct the torque longitudinally and dont suffer the frame flex caused by the gears. not that that's a huge problem since
      The control system is ridged between its components so that flex will never interfere with the inputs or what the FBL unit is trying to get the heli to do.

It runs a hollow 8mm Mainshaft thats both lighter and stronger than a solid 6mm shaft, it runs a larger OD lower profile one way bearing that has a higher torque hold rating than all other helis this size, a little 500 stretch would be no problem... The weak link is the spindle, thats the aim anyway....

I designed the CG as close to the rotor head as i could (vertically, not the for and aft balance that's obviously required) This gives it a nice flat roll and great 3D performance, It also reduces the polar moment of inertia, the CG is around 45mm closer to the blades than the gaui x3, this is the only heli i have rested the vertical CG against.
      Low polar moment of inertia (& tight mass centralization ) with all the components close together, tail servo up the front, etc. this also to help with performance, I managed this while still keeping the heli very easy to work on and maintain which was another criteria very high on my list.

All 1300 - 1600ish size lipos i know of will fit. even most 2600 should fit if you wanted

and more, I could blab on all day, but i will not bore you any longer :)

No vids yet. leaving that to KDS to release.

6. Glen

Glen Active Member

Id like to see them do 3 x canopy styles for it. I had a canopy at concept stage, and i think they are putting this on it for now, will soon find out. ill wait for them to release the info :) I love it, but it not everyones cup of tea, But there is a second canopy design i had another heli pilot do, id like to see them offer this also. time will tell.

Yes its a 350-360 (not sure exactly what blades they will supply, but it can take up to 360s. everyone still calls 360s 450 helis for some reason, Align called theirs a 480, Aligns size designations of these sizes just confuses newbies, im looking forward to the day helis are only named by their blade size!

Funny you should mention that Heligods! I designed it as a rear entry lipo slider setup, with a ESC mount on the front, but for some unknown reason KDS put it as front entry, I hope this is just a prototype test thing and they return to the rear entry, or perhaps allow either option. I hate having to take the canopy off each time i fly, other than crashes this is when the canopy get damaged, blow along the ground etc... be interested to know others preference here, lipo in the front or in the rear?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    7. HeliGods

Rear lipo loading for me, that would be awesome .... Could you not release your own canopy's, thru someone like lynxheli ?

8. HeliGods

How long till it comes out, I wonder what the $$$ will be

9. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Ohh, I like the look of dat !!

10. Cameltoe

Cameltoe New Member

Yer, that will be a winner ...

11. Cameltoe

Cameltoe New Member

Cant wait for some vids

12. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

Looks better than by blade 400

13. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Well done very unique design looks awesome cant wait to see it in action...

14. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Jebus that looks wicked

15. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Damn - looks sweet as!!!
      KDS egh! Looks like Hunter will be getting more of my money soon - lol

Any guestimate of expected availability ?

16. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Looks cool. Where does the speedie go? On the side plate?I can see where I could put Rx, flybarless etc could go.

Citizen #186

17. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Hopefully the aussie kds pilot gets 1 to test out.

12s on 360mm blades is insane that thing would go like shiz off a shovel

18. Glen

Glen Active Member

Glad you like it guys!
      KDS are not interested in a 12s setup. Thats the initiative of a fellow in USA ill shed more light on in another thread. im just going to test it in a prototype to make sure it can handle it.
      The ESC did go on the front when the lipo slid in the rear.....
      You can kinda see the mount tray on my avatar, there is also room between the tray and the front pulley, this is where i put the esc on my prototype...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    19. HeliGods

I'm interested in a 12s setup for sure..