Hobbyking Hk450 V2 $30

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Rcheliguy1242, Aug 31, 2014.

By Rcheliguy1242 on Aug 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM
  1. Rcheliguy1242

Rcheliguy1242 New Member

I recently wanted to get into 6ch helis again and so I started looking around for a cheap kit to build. I found hobbykings kits and quickly purchased a $30 kit. I went with cheap electronics but in the end I build this help from nothing to a flying bird for $98.. so far not 1 issue!! Anybody else have this heli or other hk helicopters?? I will have pics to come!!

And the electronics I used for this build are as follows:

Motor: Turnigy 2627 3800kv motor
    Esc: Hobbyking 30amp with 3a ubec
    Cyclic servos: Turnigy eco TG9 9g x3
    Tail servo: Turnigy 12g metal gear
    Gyro: Hobbyking 401b gyro
    Lipo pack: Turnigy 2200mah 20c

All in all for actually under $100 this cheap heli isn't actually that bad. Now for 3d NO WAY!! haha... I am looking into a lot better electronics in the future but this is my first heli and so far so good!!

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Rcheliguy1242, Aug 31, 2014.

1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'd ask @jockstrap , he is all over this. A 700 assult as suggested by @ScottE would be great but just make sure you are really comfortable on the sticks, they will kill you or someone else is you are not on the ball - have fun
      Simon

2. Rcheliguy1242

Rcheliguy1242 New Member

I saw the 700 assault the other day simon. And I'm not sure if I would be ready for it? I was thinking like a blade 550x? Or another 500 size to get before I jump into a 700 or a goblin? But I'm not sure..... I definitely want to make my 450 flybarles for sure and most likely add aluminum to all my current plastic parts.. I just ordered some parts from hobbyking so I should be set? But any thoughts on a good priced next size or level re heli?

3. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

Regarding Assault type in Google "Gartt 800". I have described my experience with this kit stretched to 800-810mm blades.

Regarding 450... This one is $30 kit. Maybe you should keep it like this for a while.

Options for upgrade are virtually endless:
      - 8$ frame from 450 pro
      - 4S upto 6S setup
      - FBL or DFC head
      - 360mm blades stretch with longer tail
      - night blades
      - autopilot e.g. Naza-H (?)
      - asymmetrical blades
      - scale fuselage
      - FPV (?)
      - low RPM long flight time... Cannyou reach 40min flight?
      - adding GoPro HD camera
      - fancy custom painted canopy
      - CF tail bomm
      - belt <> TT conversion depending on personal preference

My point is... you can spend small fortune or keep it cheap, learn, have fun and move to something bigger or just different e.g. Chase 360.

Maybe investing just in FBL and stronger 3S lipos will give you best bung for.the buck. Who knows?

I skipped 500, 550 and moved directly to 600. Stretched it to 700. And finally moved to 700 and 800. I did not kill myself. But bigger propellers and blades can hurt and be lethal:
      http://chrismeme11.over-blog.com/article-36258812.html

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I think a Trex 550 is a great model after you feel you need something more than your 450, that's what I did. Parts are everywhere for a Trex and probably cheaper than a blade. There is more pucker factor flying a 700 (and bigger model, and the crash costs are much higher as well. Do whatever is right for you, ask some good pilorts, the best thing you can do to help your flying is get a mentor. Have fun mate
      Simon

5. feral

feral Well-Known Member

6. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

Bigger = more stable & easier to see for old eyes lol
      Do what your comfortable with ..
      Spoonful of concrete helps ..

7. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The thing about a mentor, is they can set your 450 up so it's docile, not like a hummingbird on crystal meth, bigger is more stable, but I think a Trex 550 is a very stable machine (like similar to a 700), they only have one battery (not two like the 600 and bigger) they are a blast the throw around. We work to much not to have a great time when we go out to the field
      Simon

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Totally agree with @simon, the TREX 550 is probably one the best bang for buck helicopters you can get. Its big enough to see, does not cost a fortune when you crash and fly really well. I have had one for a couple of years now... great heli...

9. Rcheliguy1242

Rcheliguy1242 New Member

I was thinking about going to a 550 but I can't make my mind up on if I should go with a trex 550 or a blade 550x? I am not sure? And as for a mentor it looks like I'm alone :( no one does rc around here in Wisconsin.... :( haha but it would be awesome to just share the hobby with someone for once. But I'm definitely looking to get a 550? Any ideas on what's good vs not so good? And what electronics and etc? I'm just finally doing small more complex maneuvers now and it's definitely getting a lot me fun to fly!! Going to start some small tricks soon.. hehe! And lastly for my 450 what's the biggest size blades I can go to without a longer boom?

10. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Well if I ever get to Wisconsin....we'll share some smack (not sure if that came out right!)
      Simon

11. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Arent the RC Heli nations guys.. Dan.. he's in Wisconsin I think...

Go a 550. the align one is good price and quality... it is a big enough jump... in fact when I went from 550 to 700 it wasnt that big of a deal... There is plenty of easy to find build videos and threads for the trex 550, not as much for the Blade. and pretty much most pilots have had an align at some stage, and they pretty much all build the same way...

just my 2c

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

+1 on @Manyc s 2c's

Simon

13. Rcheliguy1242

Rcheliguy1242 New Member

Haha point across simon.. haha where do you live and also where do you fly?

14. Rcheliguy1242

Rcheliguy1242 New Member

Align 550 it is then. Thanks Manyc!!! Where do you guys fly?

15. simon

simon Well-Known Member

We're in Australia, so it's a bit of a trip!
      Simon

16. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

But still come over! It will be fun I am sure...

17. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

I have had Blade 130 and Align 450. My first build was a TREX 500 Pro DFC and I thought that was awesome until I recently picked up a second hand Synergy E5 which is a true 550. There is no comparison. The flight characteristics and visibility are amazing compared to the smaller more twitchy helis.

Yes the 550 is bigger, but I find it inherently more stable and less twitchy. I have a reasonably soft setup for sport flying, loops, rolls, 8's, flips and some inverted etc but it's smooth flight characteristics, hang time and bigger presence have resulted in giving me a confidence boost in my flying and resulted in faster progression into the inverted realm and other areas I have not previously ventured.

I'm not sure what to expect in the differences between a 550 to 600 to 700 and beyond, but based on my experience with the E5 I wish I went there first instead of the 450/500..

I agree that having a mentor is a great thing. Having a more skilled pilot standing at your side and observing your stick inputs and flight means that they can point out the subtle corrections you can make to the inputs to improve the turns, tricks etc and you get to try that and observe the effect. It aids your understanding and correlation of inputs to flight results.

Just last weekend @hardsy mentored me on doing autos. We went thru the approach, stick movements, heli position etc. Did a few trial runs getting the basics down but bailing out before meeting the ground. Got comfortable with the concepts, he advised techniques to maintain or increase headspeed etc. Then as my confidence grew (his encouragement helped) I proceeded to full autos, sticking the first few, doing a sliding auto for a meter or so (unintentional, but looked impressive) and went back to practicing the approaches.

The key was I did all this in one flight pack. Not something I would have been confident to do without a mentor beside me advising and encouraging. The fear factor is now gone. I have experienced doing a few and now it's just down to practice.

For helis bigger than a 600 I have set myself a flying skill level target. When I can confidently fly all the basics flips, rolls, loops, circles, and 8s; forward, backward; upright and inverted I intend to reward myself with a 700 size of some description. This serves me in two ways; 1. A target is a great motivator to practice and 2. I will have sufficient skills to have both confidence and capability that I won't be danger to myself or others.

Anyway just my thoughts and experience. I've been flying for 14 months, so if all fakes time.... And $$$

Cheers
      Stuart

18. Rcheliguy1242

Rcheliguy1242 New Member

I have only been flying for 3 weeks.... I'm learning very fast with the help of simulators too.

Soon I will be buying a 550 and stated in the forms before I think it's clear to go with a align trex 550! But I think if I had someone helping me with what to do during a flight like Stuart said... then that would be so ridiculous! Haha I just am inpatient and want to do stunts now.

19. Rcheliguy1242

Rcheliguy1242 New Member

Any tips besides the sim to learn tricks?

20. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Practice flying high and learning tricks high (like 100+ feet), this gives you a couple of mistakes to fix before it goes in, bring them down when you have nailed them. Practice them in a few orientations, like side on, nose in etc. Always nail them on the sim before IRL, don't practice things that won't help you (yes, I'm back to finding someone who can mentor you)
      Enjoy the learning, I do....it's a big challenge, always have fun
      Simon