Finally! A Mini Protos!

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by Beaver, Aug 20, 2016.

By Beaver on Aug 20, 2016 at 9:32 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Done deal! I finalized payment on my stretched Mini Protos airframe..... my first real non-clone heli, and only $150 with SAB blades, and some aluminum upgrade parts! It should ship tomorrow. I've already been reading up on things and looking for parts at various online sites. This bird won't be in the air immediately as I plan to get better quality electronics for the thing, which may take a few weeks or so.
    Next stop- download the manual and do more reading. :D:D 20160806_181311.jpg thumb-20160806_181329.jpg thumb-20160806_181404.jpg thumb-20160806_181416.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by Beaver, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Whoops! The Mini Protos had issues today. First two flights today resulted in an odd 1/2 of a second power oscillation while in flight, as if the ESC was having trouble locking into Gov mode, regardless of throttle curve. Packs seem to be reading normal. ...... Then of course, a customer shows up at our shop with a small child, and when I went to do a little "demo" flight, I lost bind from Tx to Sat-Rx, resulting in no response from the Protos, and me with no laptop on-hand to reset bind Somewhat embarrassed at that point, I had no alternative but to power-up the little MSRx.
      Back to troubleshooting mode after so many months of flawless flights.
      No Crash.. .. Bite me @Crash Heligod! :p

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I have experienced this phenomenon off and on over the last year, but I assumed it was a glitch from the K-Bar I was running before with the same LemonRx Sat Rx's. Somehow I begin to suspect the seemingly flawless LemonRx Sat's on a Ikon-V1, given the low odds of it being the Ikon FBL being the problem. Personally, I would be more likely to blame it on a weird on/off transient from plugging in/unplugging packs. It doesn't happen but in seemingly random occurrences........ usually when I have no Laptop on-hand to reset Bind.

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

..... to finish that story:
      I finally plugged Ikon in to USB to perform bind, and was greeted with software and firmware updates.... most if which apply mainly to V2 I suspect.

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ah! Fresh lipo packs!
      Its been too long. After months of inactivity, I finally did an inspection and spooled up the Mini just to make sure all is well. This bird could fly again as early as tomorrow. :)

5. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Good to hear.. My mini p has become a shelf queen ever since I got the 380... Thinking of taking the electronics out of it and getting an oxy3

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Being off flying for a few months, it nearly felt like flying a 450 for the first time ever, but with reflexes intact, and a better quality heli and radio. No defects other than needing to tweak the setup in the Ikon a touch.
      Its good to be back. :)

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Something actually broke on this Protos, though not through crash damage. The fiberglass cracked on the backside of the canopy-pin-grommet at starboard side. Rather than risk further damage, I've had to resort to using a "generic" white canopy left-over from the CX-450. Oddly enough, I see a returning theme with like-colored canopies on my birds, as the A100 now has a mostly white canopy on it. Now to print and employ my "No Crash" emblem....... :D

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

this may be a pivital moment in my preparation toward creating my own glass/fiber composte canopies........

9. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

canopies are so expensive but aesthetically make all the difference. And they are usually the first thing to go in a crash - so if you have a way of making them you will save yourself some dollars and your heli will allways look good. Will be interested to see how you go @Beaver

10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'll start with repairing the "ears" on the original Protos canopy, and probably add slight reinforcement to prevent future breaks. I might also need to address a slight clearance issue in the front that has been pulling on those "ears" since I first acquired the model.
      As far as fiberglass work goes, I have some experience from rebuilding parts of boat hulls.
      My current thinking is that a combination of shape and choice of "fiber" media could yield interesting results, if not make for some interesting possibilities for "novelty" canopies. The hardest part will be carving the molds. :D

11. smakmeharder

The ultimate canopy is one which is flexible - looks good - light and strong and very cheap and easy to source. Think you can do it @Beaver? If you can i can make you rich!

12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Hello! You have my attention now. :D

13. smakmeharder

LOL... yes... do you think its possible? We could team up and put cannomod out of business!

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Well, if there is nothing else to be said, the Mini Protos has surpassed all my expectations as far as airframe is concerned. I need to upgrade to 6s, which is very shortly to come... but all I can say at this time, is ...... all in good time. When I have 6s charge/discharge capability in-hand, I'll be ready, with a little help from @smakmeharder .........

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I went to power-up the Mini-P and the Sat didn't bind...... It does that on rare occasions..... usually when I'm nowhere near home and without my laptop and USB cord..... and usually when there are spectators. A quick session with the Ikon software this morning, and all is well again. Aside from that little glitch, and needing to upgrade cyclic servos and go 6S...... this bird is still my best investment. :D

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

If nothing else can be said for this Bird, after having flown it, given using the cheaper Corona servos, it does perform very consistently. I have had no frame-related flaws to report, and I still love how silent the drive is compared to a Trex-type gear-drive. As I said before...... Like flying a whisper. :D

17. smakmeharder

No doubt the minip is a workhorse and it is quite tolerant as well. Vibes tend to be sucked up by the belt drive. Just make sure when you transition to 6s, stick with the stock 6s motor. The more powerful aftermarket 6s motors - while good - were just too much for the belts with hard smack. Having said that however there were people who flew with these motors but did not chew through the belts - flying style has a bit to do with it. Lots of opposing collective tends to load the drive train.

18. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Agreed.. While smakmeharder when through belts like candy.. I went through about 1 belt a year.. And replaced it just because as I was fixing a crash. And I was running the same motor as smakeme... But I don't fly any where near as aggressive as he does...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So the 1300kv MSH motor will do the job as far as ive heard, but going to the 8:1 ratio freaks me out a bit since I'm used to running anywhere from 15:1 to 12:1 at 3S/3500kv. I assume the 6S/1300kv motor has more torque at a lower Rpm as compared to a 3s/3500kv motor? I'm still in preparations to go 6S, mainly acquiring a good 6S charger and new 6S packs..... Then Ill have everything I need...... for the moment.

20. smakmeharder

The best way to describe the 6s motor is to imagine how the 3s heli feels in the first 10 seconds of flying with a really good battery pack. Now stretch feeling out to most of the flight - that is 6s. Good power from start to finish.