Brain Ikon Ikon2 Reliable Rescue Vs Demon 3sx Axon And Others

Discussion in 'MSH Brain - iKon' started by vara347, Aug 20, 2017.

By vara347 on Aug 20, 2017 at 7:21 PM
  1. vara347

vara347 New Member

Hi , I've had a total of 4 Ikon2 units and have had the sensor error "154 Vertical Sensor out of range" on 2 of them. This affects the accellerometers and makes rescue and self level unusable and hazardous. Only fix is return the unit.
    I'm wondering if this occurs very often or if I have been unlucky 50% of the time. I'm at a crossroads as to whether or not I can continue to trust Ikon2. I bought 3 so I could update and standardize my fleet. The first time it occurred I was advised to send it back, so I did and got a refund. Bought another, the replacement came from a completely different supplier and country.

First a bit about me I'm experienced in FBL systems and model building, I have successfully set up a Bavarian Demon 3sx with a reliable rescue on 2 heli's. I have used V-bar, Ace GT5.1, Beastx etc. I enjoy the set up and take my time and read all info panels and manuals, forums etc. I'm a Industrial Electrician and have worked a few years in service too. So I blamed myself first and checked what I had done methodically before blaming the unit.
    Flying wise I'm nothing special, basic big air and a bit of inverted figure 8's. I don't get a lot of time to fly with 3 kids but I spend a lot of time tuning and building late at night. I was advised to make sure I completed all steps properly and in order which I did and confirmed.
    I've doubled checked my set up on the Ikon2 and I'm very confident it's not a setting, all servos in the correct port and swash selections confirmed. I also have the 2 units without sensor errors flying beautifully with a perfect functioning rescue. This is the reason I'm unsure how to proceed. I love it on 2 heli's and every practice rescue is smooth. Ikon2 is my preferred unit to roll out as it has the best software and is feature packed for its price, as well as flies as good as or better than anything else.

The first unit let me know it was faulty by going from a up right stable hover to flipping inverted and climbing. A bit of a wow did that really happen moment but free of drama as I was up high. Tried it twice and it happened both times. At home plugged into PC and vertical sensor 154 error had filled the log. Happens even on bench test from there. So it went back. Heli logs also confirmed no vibrations 10 to 20% at the very most and only a few of them over the flights.
    Faulty unit number 2 no faults during set up so I planned to fly a few batteries then check vibe logs before enabling rescue. 2 batteries flew nicely. Plugged in battery 3 and I got 12 swash pumps so back home for diagnostics. The log showed nothing but sensor 154 errors. No crashes on these helicopters or units. As this error occurs even on the bench without motor running etc I think I'm right in concluding Vibration and set up are out of the equation.

In a nut shell I like Ikon2 features and price so I want to use them, I can't afford multiple Demon Axon units but I completely trust Demon accellerometers in regards to rescue. So am I a unlucky case with Ikon2 or do I need to look elsewhere for a reliable rescue.

I don't want to bag out the manufacturer as my research pointed to it being the best, I just hope the indicators point to a rare fixable event so I can be reassured to trust the 2 remaining and continue to purchase more.

Thanks for any input you can provide me

Comments

Discussion in 'MSH Brain - iKon' started by vara347, Aug 20, 2017.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Hmm ok so you have had 2 units give the same error. May i ask what helicopter are the units on? Did the two error throwing gyros come off the same helicopter? And what is the frequency of the 10 - 20% vibration error - high frequency?

The only reason i ask is that some times gyro vibration errors can be accumulative - ie you can have a slight high frequency vibe on a tail - the unit will still function but the tail will slowly turn one direction. The cyclic will still work as well but it will feel spongy - not sharp and hard.

I think its accurate when i say that vibrations have driven every single heli pilot crazy on more than one occasion. But its the number one cause of gyro issues. Depending on the response of the monitoring software high frequency vibrations don't always display their true value accurately. I know you have discounted this but it sounds very vibration-ish

Now the other thing that comes to mind is a short to the frame somewhere possibly affecting the quality of the supply to the gyro - excessive electrical noise on the supply lines. This can also affect gyros adversely.

What sort of helicopter and what size is it? Are you using descent gyro tape? A process of elimination might be whats required

2. vara347

vara347 New Member

Hi, all the vibes were below 5000rpm. So in the head area. Admittantly I don't balance blades on my small helis as they normally get used as a mobile sim. I might start though. I'm pretty particular with blade tracking though and set up. I chucked in a new feathering spindle just in case.

The Heli is a new Trex 470LM. Only a dozen flights 90% of them tuning the ikon, no crashes yet on this heli. While I was waiting on the replacement for the first unit I put on another new Ikon2 HD version I had waiting to put on my Goblin 630, once I'm sure ikon2 rescue is good. With the HD version the heli had absolutrly no issues with the rescue, I would have done at least 20, all flawless. I'm just using the supplied gyro tape from Ikon.

Once the new unit arrived I put it on the 470 in place of the HD version. First 2 flights good then the error appeared and continued to log even without spooling up it will log more and more sensor errors and give the 12 swash pumps. Thats why I'm kind of blaming a bad production run. I have another ikon2 on a goblin 380, again new built with low flights <8, but no issues yet.

So I'm kind of guessing the HD version working on the same heli between the 2 non HD is the control, I've read a few different views on mounting tape but I've left it up to ikon2 to supply adequate tape. I'm willing to try another if needed. One gyro had grey tape the second one looked clear and was stickier. Not sure if Ikon have changed tapes.

I would describe the cyclic action as sharp and the tail locked in. I would say this Ikon flies as good as my demon 3sx and is easier to tune. I'm sitting the gyro on the small Align carbon gyro plate that wedges in the frame above the tailbox. I have thought about rem,oving this plate and putting it straight on the plastic tail box. Not sure if this is a bad idea on a belt drive heli.

So I guess while I haven't covered every base, I think I've done enough where a unit without a fault will function well. I'm pretty sure the Demon would rescue on this heli. I have heard some other reports (lets call them rumours because I don't want to reveil the source) about a few recent units being sent back also. I was advised on hfreak to tap the case with a screw driver to jolt the sensor back into range.

Obviously I'm open to doing a bit more fault finding but I don't want to spend hours If the issue is not at my end. I'm going to be time poor for a while for some silly reason after at least 5 years flying I'm going to change from flying mode 1 to mode 2. Heli won't be uncrashed for much longer I dare say. Lucky I have AccuRc2, coffee and beer.

I really hoping a unit from a different batch solves the issue as I want to roll out more Ikon's due to features, software and flight characteristic being awesome.