Assault 100-v2

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Dec 7, 2016.

By Beaver on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yes, I found a deal on an Assault 100-v2, with brushless main and tail motors. It's supposed to be comparable to a Blade MCPx, but I haven't looked in depth enough to determine if it is a "clone", but I do know it is a re-branded HiSky HCP100S (who ever they are).
    It's complete with some spares: a pack or two- 2S/450mAh, blades, etc.
    Included is a JR module that will snap directly into the back of my TH-9X radio (after I install a switch to disable the internal DSM2 module I installed).
    So It doesn't seem a bad deal for $40+shipping. Transaction pending. Photo Dec 05, 6 58 07 PM.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

As was bound to happen, I tried to get the thing out in the open and ended up going in head first...... broke a blade and stripped one of those dumb little linear servos (which never happened with the NCPx). I'm about to test the validity of what I read about compatibility, having purchased a replacement servo mechanism (minus board) for a mCPx-Bl.
      Either way, this A100 will only be down for a minute. :D

2. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Big or small I get them all! Muah ha ha... I love desserts..

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Whatever @Crash Heligod. In the spirit of giving, I was nice enough to let you come over and play with the A100 for a minute.......... but you are NOT touching my Protos. :p

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Maintain the Rage @Beaver , don't let that penis smoker get to you
      Simon

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I love the auto de-vulgarize scripts on this site

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

penis smoker is probably funnier than what I wrote originally LOL - Heligods, I love this site
      Simon
      mental mote - shouldn't watch too much DeadWood

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It's a twitchy little micro heli- a mishap or two is to be expected.
      I figured let that idiot take credit for a minor crash and send his boney a$$ down the road. :D

8. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Ahh @Beaver! Small presents, big presents - I will be handing out plenty of love over Christmas!

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I have a nice little present for you...... It's one of those hand-grip exercise devices, festively shaped like a pineapple. Just pull the shipping pin to unlock the handle, and have a blast. :D

10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

This one is on hold due to a micro-Jst servo socket coming loose from the Rx board. I'll have to solder it back myself, or send the board away to a mail-order repair site...... but will most likely do it myself. It's not the first time I've had to solder on such a small scale. :cool:

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Okay.... Back to this one...... I just ordered an HCP100S (used) for cheap..... same as the Assault (HK) 100. So now I will have a "Blade MCPx-v2 equivalent" CP bird and spare parts (the first A100-v2) to play with. I assume it will work out better than the Nano CPx as far as using it for a "live" SIM since it it totally brushless main and tail, probably not much different from one of those higher cost "Align 100" jobs. I can't wait to get back to this one and use it to hone my skills! Better to have a basher around than to take chances of killing my Mini Protos...... Right??
      Just you shut your dead-ass pie-hole @Crash Heligod...... You aren't invited to this little party. :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Though my radio programming has yet to be finalized, I finally managed to get the 100 in the air and evaluate it somewhat.
      It's typical of a micro, but with rates dialed back.... It's manageable. One thing I did notice is that the HCP100s has remarkable piro stability, having run 8 consecutive turns... in a light wind, with practically no cyclic drift...... you can't do that with a NanoCPx. :D

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

.....the power up sequence is a bit weird. I missed the "envelope" and somehow ended up in a weird setup which caused erratic response, just like an improperly bound NCPx. A minor tip-over and a chipped main blade later, I figured it out and returned to normal response. Fortunately, I know how to "lathe" micro-heli blades back into balance while on the heli.
      Next stop.... DSM2/X satellite rx plug in...... the main board has the micro-JST socket for it, Then I can get rid of the plug-in HiSki Tx module and its quirky channel routing, and have a reliable RF signal..... beside the fact that my TH9x radio looks weird with 2 antennas on it. :D

14. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

What is the tail piro rate like? It has stability, but how fast? IE one or two turns per second? also what are the stops like. Tails typically are problems with micros. They are difficult to control if the tail does not stop quickly.

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I have it at a conservative 1 rev per second. III turn it up when I finish the programming. So far, stops seem solid.
      After further investigation, I found that "piro comp" is actually written into the firmware on this one, thus explaining the stability. :D

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Full 125% rate gives approximately 1.5 revolutions per second, so I can get 3 turns in 2 seconds, with seemingly solid stops so far.

17. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Thats pretty good for a micro size heli! One complaint i had about the mcpxbl - could not get enough tail authority.

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

This one seems to have very good locking ability, even with the headspeed dialed down, obviously due to the brushless direct-drive tail rotor, which responds quickly to any counter torque regardless of what the mainrotor is doing. Both main and tail are "outrunner" type motors.
      I did read something about a "deadband" issue, and discovered yesterday during multiple flights that it seems to be true......
      more rudder input is required before actual response is observed.

In other news, I discovered the skids have a typical flaw associated with micro-helis in that the plastic pins break. In my usual manner, I found an effective solution to that problem.
      Aside from employing my usual balancing practices and getting the heli running smooth, the HiSki/Assault canopies seem to have annoying resonance characteristics, so I fitted an aftermarket MSRx canopy to the thing. Photos to follow.
      On another note.....
      I have discovered the need to know how to assign end-points to Tx channels, as this little beastie hasn't been as easy to program-in as most of my other models. It's a bit distressing when going full cyclic and having binding issues in the swash and head while making for some odd responses as well. The HCP100s/Assault 100 seems to have overemphasized servo travel a bit.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

WP_20170624_001.jpg WP_20170624_002.jpg WP_20170624_003.jpg
      Now isn't that the cutest little outrunner main-motor you've ever seen?
      These photos were taken after a complete frame/electronics swap using all the best parts on hand and refining the wiring. I had to upgrade a few solder joints here and there just for reliability's sake.
      I finally cracked the code somewhat with the Tx program. I now have full +/- collective control with throttle-cut switch in the usual location. I have yet to bring in the 3-way mode switch and throttle curves, but at least the thing is flying at a level where I can explore the capabilities without having to worry about weird control issues. :D

20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

One good "whack" while flying in the garage, and I ends up having to install the solid-carbon tail boom to replace the hollow-core one @Crash Heligod helped me shatter. There was some soldering involved, of course, but the conversion went well.
      Then there is the matter of blades:
      After some airtime using various forms of "stock" blades, HiSki, Assault (HK), and whatever the generic green ones are...... All "bullet" style blades, and somewhat heavy. The one unused set of "Assault" blades I tried were so out of balance it was almost funny. I'm thinking I might investigate using Lynx/MCPx blades on this thing, especially if they have straight "non-bullet" lighter weight blades.