As The Blades Turn.......

Discussion in 'Blade Heli's' started by Beaver, Jan 30, 2015.

By Beaver on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:44 PM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So I found myself in need of a replacement feathering spindle for my Nano CPx because it was bent and causing blade tracking and balance issues... then upon gently trying to straighten it, it breaks. I figured a trip to the LHS would remedy the problem, but no F spindle in stock. Next week I happen by the other
    LHS and again, no F spindle in stock, and was informed the part was on back-order at Horizon. So I go home and begin reviving my 120SR that was neglected after I bought the Nano. Naturally it flies like shiz and then I begin the process of scrutinizing parts. Several trips to the LHS later over the next two weeks resulted in two new Li-po batteries (one that has gone bad right out of the package and was replaced for free by Horizon), a rotor hub, cf main shaft, mixing fly bar, main motor, tail boom assembly with tail motor, landing skids, and a tail fin just for the hell of it. I also did some touch-up soldering on the 5 in 1 control board. So, over several weeks time I have managed to practically rebuild my 120SR, which flies like new now as I would expect........ and I have spent $60 to stay in the air while waiting for a $6 part. Feathering spindles for the Nano still on back-order at Horizon of course, as I suspect now they must literally be on a "slow boat from China" or something of that nature. I'm Beaver, and I'm a helicopter addict. :p

Comments

Discussion in 'Blade Heli's' started by Beaver, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Nothing unusual to report... No mechanical failures, no damage, no unexplainable phenomena. Both the Nano and the 120sr running normal enough, although the 120sr may be about due for a fresh main motor. No worries, as I have been using the Nano more often lately. :cool:

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Shiz. I probably just jinxed myself in that last post by inadvertently drawing attention to myself from "The Evil Osteoligical Enigma". Me and my big mouth....... or thumbs, as the case may be. :p

3. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

AHHH @Beaver ! Thank you for the heads up! I will be travelling past your neck of the woods soon so i must drop in for a quick catchup once again! I am so glad that you missed me. Dont worry I allways make time for my friends!

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yeah... Thanks. :rolleyes:

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

WP_20150705_001.jpg Ach! Time for a new frame. This original one has reached it's limit, broken at the tail support. Next question: Stock frame or aftermarket? Time to visit Lynx, Rakon, and Microheli to see what's available. Will probably go back with stock frame due to cost though. I don't want to keep dumping money into this Nano when I could be saving for an Ares 300CP rtf.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    6. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Try an after market frame and let us know if it is stronger and lasts longer

Stuart
      Citizen #507

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Most of the ones I've seen so far are aluminum. I would imagine they are pretty tough. I'm just not sure I can justify another $50 or $60 on a $120 heli. I've probably already spent near $200 on replacement parts and upgrades. No regrets, but I need to move on to something bigger and better eventually.

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Nano patched and reinforced at the broken tail holder, holding solid again. Flying in the variable wind gusts of an approaching thunderstorm...... that's challenging and fun!!

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Going with stock Nano frame, main gear and main shaft. The original one lasted through nearly a year of daily use. I'll be commencing the replacement procedure this evening.

10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

In pieces again to replace frame. I think I'll go ahead and rewire the power system to provide better amperage to both main and ESC boards.... per earlier calculations using solid wire with any redundant lengths removed should provide less voltage drop at a higher current capability, and maybe a little less weight. WP_20150710_002.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Successful refit complete. Solid copper wire installed straight to main board, ESC power leads cut down to 3cm and soldered close to main board, and only 3cm of stock wire and battery connector. Wiring routed under port and rear servo to secure it in place. I notice an increase in power after a 3 flights, definitely more zip at the collective. No power drop-out.... and I even used the original Rx board that was giving me problems with the BL kit. The silly thing even soft-landed LVC with throttle hold on. @smakmeharder , you were right about the leads being weak. WP_20150710_003.jpg

12. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Leads being weak is an understatement.. Mine pulled out of the motor connector. Not sure I have the soldering skills to fix it.. Lol

Stuart
      Citizen #507

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I had read about people having problems with the soldering on those boards, but didn't give it much thought. I've been soldering for 35 years, and so far the only real challenge for me is deteriorating eyesight. I don't see things up close as well as I used to. What board did the motor leads pull loose from @Stuart ??

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I will be investing in one of these this week I think. It will make things easier to see when soldering small things. shopping.jpg

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

My 120sr is now on it's 3rd main motor. The previous motor's windings were beginning to short. performance wasn't bad, but it was hell on the Li-po packs, getting them hotter than normal and killing two of the 600mAh packs. I'm beginning to wonder if I can find a BL motor and esc that will fit in the bird. Hmmm......

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I see HH has released a 230s recently. It looks like a cross between a 200srx and a 300x judging by the parts list. It's a CP heli but has the "SAFE" system as on the 200srx, and appears to have 300x rotor parts and uses 200srx tail blades. BL main and tail motors may be 200srx. The RTF version has what they are calling a DXe, but its a 6-channel radio and I see no specifics on it. Is it a basic version of a DX6i, as in a DX4e converted to 6-channel?? Further investigation is needed here.

17. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

WP_20150716_002.jpg There is definitely a pattern forming here. Even the cheap $20 coaxial is now wearing red, white, and black now.

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

One too many nice calm winded nights, and me without L.E.D.s on my Nano because of frame change and other work having been done to it. That is about to change. I just spent several hours working L.E.D.s onto the tail boom assy. Tomorrow: white L.E.D. backlight for the canopy, and maybe a set of NAV lights, and I'll be back to night fly capability. :D

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

IMG_20150725_232914.jpg Well, the Microheli aluminum swash plate has been working fine since I installed it. Precision parts are no good when there is slop in the servo links... the cheap little "wire hook" ends on the liniar servos. I had to re-install the spring between the head and swash plate. I forgot how much of a difference that little spring made... tighter response to small control input. Next heli I buy will definitely good ball-links on the servos.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

WP_20150729_002.jpg WP_20150729_001.jpg
      Okay..... So much for the "indestructible tail-boom". It's indestructible alright, at the expense of the main frame. I cracked the boom socket out of the frame when I piroed into a wall last night. FortunatelyI was able to patch the frame. Back to stock tail assembly for me...... for now.