700 Lighter Than Tdr

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by utrinque, May 31, 2015.

By utrinque on May 31, 2015 at 7:44 AM
  1. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

I want to share with you details regarding my old project and provide recipe for building 700 lighter than TDR.

It:
    - is reliable - I fly it since 2012, it has 3 main shaft bearings blocks (more than Align 600 PRO)
    - is proven - I build 3 or 4 of them
    - is cheap - it is Frankenstein heli built around HK600GT frame with some Align parts in key areas
    - it can use 4Ah lipos in 12S setup providing 5 minutes flights.
    - floats great on low RPM, on high RPM becomes a rocket.
    - recently I succeded to convert it to night flight rig and will share details how cheap this can cost
    - it is quiet due to low RPM and low disk load if main shaft bearings are in good condition
    - offers most convenient front battery mounting - I will show how to secure lipos safely and I bet weight vertical distribution is better than in lipo tray mount design.

List of components I use and recommend:
    - HK600GT CF frame halves - cheap as dirt and stiff enough for 700
    - RJX 50 (600 class for 10mm main shaft) FBL head
    - Align 600 PRO rear "tail cage" with double support slider
    - Two Align main shaft blocks and one "third" alu block from HK600GT
    - HK600GT main shaft - fits third bearing block (can be shortened for better performance and lowering the FBL head, more details later)
    - Align mod 1.0 slant gear used in Trekker "unbreakable" in low weight 700. It offers wide range of pinions and gearings having 112-118T
    - Align 600 PRO OWB block (recommended OWB is from HK600GT, it is much stronger than Align OWB)
    - Align 600 PRO slant autorotation gear
    - Align or cheaper Assault tail boom and (have to be shortenned by 40mm to fit TT lenght) and TT
    - Align front plastic tail boom mount from 600 ESP (PRO version is wider and does not fit directly)
    - Align 600 PRO front umbrella gears
    - HK600GT alu frame parts or plastic version from Align
    - wide range of landing gear options starting from HK600GT, Align 600 PRO, Assault 700 or Align 700 (F3C version is lower than others)
    - galantery (HK600GT or Align: motor mount, pushrods, tail supports, boom tail supports mount, etc.)

Recommended electronics (cheap but proven and very reliable):
    - Kbar gyro
    - Power HD servos (or rebranded TGY)
    - my favourite servos I use in 800: TGY 805 and 815 (BL, titanium gears) - those are rebranded KST BL 805 and 815
    - SK3 700 480kV motor - lower weight than Gartt motor but les reliable due to weaker bearings
    - my favourite Gartt 4.2kW or newer 4.5kW 530kV motor
    - YEP 120A HV
    - I use FrSky Taranis radio with or without telemetry
    - YEP 20A SBEC - powers my 800 electronics
    - $30 Turnigy 700mm blades - newer failed on me for years
    - alternatively RJX 690 or 700mm blades

ADVANTAGES:
    - very cheap 700
    - cheap parts available everywhere including clones, upgrades from KDE, Quick etc. cheap tail boom and TT from Assault/Gartt 700 etc.
    - uncomparable feel of low weight 700
    - direct to swash setup (not possible in 600 ESP frame without modification of the frame, but posisible)
    - adjustable motor mout with wide range of possible gearings to fit your motors kV
    - can use my favourite $4 white, plastic HK600GT canopy
    - keep in mind you can put any fancy electronics in this airframe but it is not always good idea if you want to keep low weight

WEAKNES:
    - at very high RPM front umbrella gears can fail. It never happened to me in flight and I will show you solution to solve this problem. I will provide more details. For smack heavy setup Assault 700 is better option if you put some Align parts.

I plan to add photos and videos in folowing posts and describe in more detail build process with detailed recomendations how to setup this heli. Stay tuned.

(Original thread is available on HF. Google: "for me Align wins" In 2013 $1000 700 was relatively cheap. Now you can build it cheaper with better electronics and motor.):

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by utrinque, May 31, 2015.

1. Min

Min Well-Known Member

I am by no means a world class pro pilot but I think I'm average at least. I am open to others opinions though.

2. utrinque

Trust me Emil can do piro flips and piro tic-tocks.

Min you fly great!

Nitro has probably <4kW, electric did not require much more.

Sometimes I fly flat 100% throttle with 450, 550, 600, 700. In general I do not feel need for stronger setups.

3. Min

Min Well-Known Member

There are certain moves that require constant cyclic and alternating collective that will not be possible for a low powered setup. If it can make a high powered setup beg for mercy just imagine what a lower powered setup would do.

4. utrinque

I just ordered new motor for Gartt 800 :/

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Nice flight @Min

6. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Min your way better than average.. Don't sell yourself short.. You just gotta say it.. "I'm Min and I'm an awesome rc heli heli pilot"... :)

Stuart
      Citizen #507

7. utrinque

Looks like no one wants 700 lighter than TDR. : )

I will not both you with this project.

I love to fly it. Who cares?

8. Min

Min Well-Known Member

A 700 lighter than TDR is already out there, Logo 690SX.
      Another 700 will be coming out soon that is designed for high power and heavy setups but still remain comparable to the TDR in weight when both are without packs. The idea is to have the helicopter super light and load it up with batteries to prolong the flight time however keep the sensations procured during the flight the same as a normal heli by having similar disk loading.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    9. utrinque

Logo you mentioned is in fact stretched 600.

Building cost of my low weight 700 is much lower.

Not everyone wanting to build 700 is willing to pay $700-$1000 for the naked airframe.

I know how to make this cheap frame reliable, agile and smooth.

Kit is only small part of the final cost. Electronics, charger, new power supply, lipos, replacement parts in the case of crash will make Logo $3-$4 grand "toy" fast.

I can show how to divide those costs at least by half and not sacrifice performance.

All those "clone wars" made me rethink if my presence at Heligods is welcome.

10. Min

Min Well-Known Member

The 690SX is not just a stretched 600, I think you have gotten is confused with the older 600SE which ran 690mm blades but was just a 600 with a longer boom.
      If you can prove to me your budget low weight 700's can handle a scorpion 4525 ultimate motor just fine then I will be very impressed and seriously consider buying one. This means it can take a Kyle Dahl style smack down with out any component failures at least for 5 flights while flying the 4525 motor. This is the standard motor for high performance 700 and is the one included with the 690SX so please don't think I am being unreasonable. If you have trouble sourcing a motor I am willing to lend you one of comparable specs if you are in the melbourne area.

Things the heli must perform:
      • Light tail strike with the grass
      • Rapid tail direction changes without hesitation
      • Full pitch rainbows without tail kcks
      • Fast tic tocs with out tail kicks
      • Fast hurricane and funnels without tail blow out
      • Overspeeding autorotation

11. Min

Min Well-Known Member

I do not know much about motors but I'm sure @xnovamotors support will be willing to point out why a Turnigy SK3 cannot be comparable to the Xnova XTS series motors

12. utrinque

Min you are right I was thinking about Logo 600 SX.

I can put Scorpion in this stretched frame especially for you and record a video. Unfortunatelly my flying skills are far from master level but I can pushing it hard.

To give you some clue my colleague build 5kg 700 with gasser engine on HK600GT frame. He used RJX FBL head and smacked it at highest RPMs motor could deliver.

As for 700 it was very heavy and noisy but surprisingly it did not explode.

He found that weakest point in this setup was front TT umbrella gear. He use one from 600 PRO of course.

My electric is 2.95kg without lipos. At least 1kg lighter. I discovered how to make those Gear much stronger and did not strip them for at least 2 years. At my old videos you can not see piroflips but fast forward flight is also tough for airframe. Check agility and acceleration on my old videos.

I do not like SK3 motors anymore. They have horrible bearings. If you replace bearings they have one advantage... low weight. Gartt Motors are cheaper and far better. Trust me I killed few SK3 Motors and use few Gartt motors. I ordered Scorpion Ultimate recently and plan to test it in 800.

13. Min

Min Well-Known Member

No more information will be disclosed until a later date.
      weight.PNG

14. utrinque

Logo 690SX seems pretty heavy:
      RTF weight4,8kg (with 5Ah 12S lipos)

15. Min

Min Well-Known Member

4.8 - 1.6kg for batteries means 3.2kg. Stick that high power setup in your 700 and you'll end up with the same weight.