700 Lighter Than Tdr

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by utrinque, May 31, 2015.

By utrinque on May 31, 2015 at 7:44 AM
  1. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

I want to share with you details regarding my old project and provide recipe for building 700 lighter than TDR.

It:
    - is reliable - I fly it since 2012, it has 3 main shaft bearings blocks (more than Align 600 PRO)
    - is proven - I build 3 or 4 of them
    - is cheap - it is Frankenstein heli built around HK600GT frame with some Align parts in key areas
    - it can use 4Ah lipos in 12S setup providing 5 minutes flights.
    - floats great on low RPM, on high RPM becomes a rocket.
    - recently I succeded to convert it to night flight rig and will share details how cheap this can cost
    - it is quiet due to low RPM and low disk load if main shaft bearings are in good condition
    - offers most convenient front battery mounting - I will show how to secure lipos safely and I bet weight vertical distribution is better than in lipo tray mount design.

List of components I use and recommend:
    - HK600GT CF frame halves - cheap as dirt and stiff enough for 700
    - RJX 50 (600 class for 10mm main shaft) FBL head
    - Align 600 PRO rear "tail cage" with double support slider
    - Two Align main shaft blocks and one "third" alu block from HK600GT
    - HK600GT main shaft - fits third bearing block (can be shortened for better performance and lowering the FBL head, more details later)
    - Align mod 1.0 slant gear used in Trekker "unbreakable" in low weight 700. It offers wide range of pinions and gearings having 112-118T
    - Align 600 PRO OWB block (recommended OWB is from HK600GT, it is much stronger than Align OWB)
    - Align 600 PRO slant autorotation gear
    - Align or cheaper Assault tail boom and (have to be shortenned by 40mm to fit TT lenght) and TT
    - Align front plastic tail boom mount from 600 ESP (PRO version is wider and does not fit directly)
    - Align 600 PRO front umbrella gears
    - HK600GT alu frame parts or plastic version from Align
    - wide range of landing gear options starting from HK600GT, Align 600 PRO, Assault 700 or Align 700 (F3C version is lower than others)
    - galantery (HK600GT or Align: motor mount, pushrods, tail supports, boom tail supports mount, etc.)

Recommended electronics (cheap but proven and very reliable):
    - Kbar gyro
    - Power HD servos (or rebranded TGY)
    - my favourite servos I use in 800: TGY 805 and 815 (BL, titanium gears) - those are rebranded KST BL 805 and 815
    - SK3 700 480kV motor - lower weight than Gartt motor but les reliable due to weaker bearings
    - my favourite Gartt 4.2kW or newer 4.5kW 530kV motor
    - YEP 120A HV
    - I use FrSky Taranis radio with or without telemetry
    - YEP 20A SBEC - powers my 800 electronics
    - $30 Turnigy 700mm blades - newer failed on me for years
    - alternatively RJX 690 or 700mm blades

ADVANTAGES:
    - very cheap 700
    - cheap parts available everywhere including clones, upgrades from KDE, Quick etc. cheap tail boom and TT from Assault/Gartt 700 etc.
    - uncomparable feel of low weight 700
    - direct to swash setup (not possible in 600 ESP frame without modification of the frame, but posisible)
    - adjustable motor mout with wide range of possible gearings to fit your motors kV
    - can use my favourite $4 white, plastic HK600GT canopy
    - keep in mind you can put any fancy electronics in this airframe but it is not always good idea if you want to keep low weight

WEAKNES:
    - at very high RPM front umbrella gears can fail. It never happened to me in flight and I will show you solution to solve this problem. I will provide more details. For smack heavy setup Assault 700 is better option if you put some Align parts.

I plan to add photos and videos in folowing posts and describe in more detail build process with detailed recomendations how to setup this heli. Stay tuned.

(Original thread is available on HF. Google: "for me Align wins" In 2013 $1000 700 was relatively cheap. Now you can build it cheaper with better electronics and motor.):

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by utrinque, May 31, 2015.

1. utrinque

At crazy high RPM more weight provides some inertia. I do agree.

Speed records belonged to low weight Banshee and TDR.

In general high RPM is very spectacular, noise and fun.

In my opinion it is far from optimal due to:
      - excessive stress on parts
      - high currents which increase exponentially with RPM
      - need for expensive electronics e.g. $800 200A Kontronik ESC.
      - need for expensive 60C lipos

I did not replace any parts in my 800 for over a year. Hundreds of flights...

I know my flights are not spectacular but I have fun.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    2. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Thats right. I still don't know what you're getting at. First so talk about how there is little need for complex, high performance designs, then you start referencing videos of heavy helicopters smacking hard and saying there's no need for larger diameter main shafts, then you talk about how light helicopters are the way to go and now you start suggesting the 2 stage, high performance designs are the way to go?

3. utrinque

Christian, designer of Oblivion 300 sent me a link to the video. There is 250 with extended blade gripps (low disk load). It behaves awesome:

4. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Is it low disk loading or compensating for the high disk loading of the original helicopter?

5. utrinque

Both. It can fly much better than original T-Rex 250.

6. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Exactly, like I said before there is an optimal disk loading. I believe the trex 250 stock has too much disk loading which is why the extended blades helps. What will be interesting is flying the stock and extended versions in a considerable amount of wind and then see which one flies better.

7. utrinque

Optimal disk load is 0 kg/m2. Imagine smak 3D with heli which has no weight at all. :)

Did anyone try hydrogen tanks?

You probably ment mass not weight...

8. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Mass = Weight, Force = Mass x Acceleration: basic unit of mass is a kilogram
      Simon

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Confucius say: If it no have mass and take up space- it not matter. (Insert physics pun here)

10. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Mass does not = weight, weight is measured in newtons while mass is measures in kilograms, weight is mass times acceleration due to gravity.

11. Min

Min Well-Known Member

You say 0 weight would fly amazing, I don't agree with that. A 0 weight machine would fly in a very unusual way.
      Think about this, for a heli to hover Fnet must equal 0. A weightless machine will hover when there is no thrust because there is 0 newtons pulling it down and 0 newtons pulling it up so it stays still.
      If a gust of wind hits this machine you would have to flip the machine 90 degrees to counteract the push of the wind so if you wanted a stable non-drifting hover in this 0 disk loading machine you will need to fly it on the side like knife edge the whole time. Imagine you were to fly at a F3C competition which requires you to land after every hovering maneuver. You need to take off and immediately flip or roll 90 degrees to keep the heli in the same spot due to wind and you will need to bring the heli really low in knife edge before suddenly flipping it 90 degrees to land after the hovering maneuver. In a heli with considerable disk loading you would simply redirect the thrust slightly to counter the effects of wind as there's lots of thrust to counter the weight.

12. utrinque

Are you going to say that flying smack 3D looks "usual way"? Did you see any full scale heli doing tic-tocks?

800 can easily hover pulling 40 Amps. Did you wonder why many put 160A ESCs in 700?

Look what Jan Henseleit wrote in TDR manual:
      "For the same flight condition „Hovering at one position“ 570W is required at 1300 rpm at the rotor and at 1850 rpm you already need 1000W. At more than 2100 rpm 1500W are required, i. e. nearly the triple amount, although you do nothing more than hovering."

Do we really need 20kW motors in 700 class helis?

My 800 was able to reach 197km/h with 4.2kW motor.

This excessive power is applied to minimze gravity influence on heavy airframes.

Zeppelins were "weight less" and not particularly twitchy. Aerodynamic resistance and gross mass counts in that case.

Put Hindenburg on a scale:
      [​IMG]
      This monster was floating in the air. Scale would show zero kg.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    13. Min

Min Well-Known Member

So you believe a helicopter hovering with its rotor perpendicular to the ground is fine?
      The additional power draw in the higher and higher headspeeds is due to the increase in air resistance as the relative airspeed goes up.
      Regarding the large ESCs in 700 size helis I have attached a castle log file of a 3D flight. You can view the logs via the castle log viewer software available for free download. You will notice that the current draw is not at 160 amps all the time, most of the time it is below 50 amps on a 700 size machine. Large ESCs are required for the high peaks in rapid direction changes and these peaks will not get much smaller in a apparent weightless machine as the mass is still there because F=MA.

Attached Files:

14. utrinque

Looks cool...
      [​IMG]

15. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

:D *Popcorn's Ready*

16. Retssaf

Retssaf Member

Do we really need 20kW motors in 700 class helis?

if you have to ask this question you will never understand the answer

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    17. utrinque

Please show us your skills. More power will not make you a better pilot.

Can you do piro tic-tocks with old Rex 600 ESP on 6S?

Emil can:

18. Min

Min Well-Known Member

I did not see any piro tictocs in that video. Maybe you posted the wrong one?
      Anyway, here's just a lazy flight over the water. I don't think anyone filmed my freestyle rounds at 3DX last year.

19. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Heres a video of me flying something thats not that overpowered. Synergy N7 nitro

20. Min

Min Well-Known Member

A flight on my own machine from a while ago with a setup you definitely wouldn't approve of. Monster 4530 Scorpion motor and 5000mah packs on a Kontronik Helijive but still take note of the flight time and and overspeeding auto at the end which would be very difficult on a low disk loading machine. 4:00 minutes of almost unlimited power is good enough for me.