Question? 5 Yo Rhys Wyatt, Kewl.. But Very Dangerous !

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Mr Bling, Nov 24, 2014.

By Mr Bling on Nov 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  1. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

Ok, So this is really kewl, but very but dangerous at the same time, he should at least be buddy boxed for his own safety.. A child of 5 cannot know the full consequence of what could happen. Imagine what would happen if the worst came about, The media would have a field day with it, and I'm sure the parents would serve Jail time, for sure..

Don't get me wrong i think it's awesome and wish him all the best, But.. Really no buddy box to keep him safe ? Bad call and very dangerous if you ask me.

Whats your opinion ?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Mr Bling, Nov 24, 2014.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Yep thats right! Look what happened last time i piroflipped.

5138695816_029bfbdf1f.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'd post pictures of the aftermath of my 'version' of a flip, but being X rated and a family forum, I choose not too
      simon

3. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

I know Rhys also - and let me tell you, he flys helis safer and further away than many adults I've seen fly..

I think I'd rather stand next to him flying a 600 than some other adults .. so do we ban those adults because they are not up to scratch...
      I've had some shocker flights sometimes myself... damn.. gotta ban myself now :(

Rhys - is quite a well behaved little kid - he's not one of these kids that's going to simply put down the TX in the middle of a flight because he's bored and walk away.

I've seen some old plankers fly VERY scary indeed... they don't get banned - yet - lol

4. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more Johnny

5. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

Hmmm... , I don't remember suggesting he should be banned at all , no not at all, Sure he should fly, it's great... But a young kid may not have the life experience to realize the consequences is really all i was getting at. At least a buddy box may avoid this concern, so at least if things go pear shaped his dad could just dump it. However you have all made some good points for sure. I'd just hate to see something happen to such a talented young flyer.

6. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

woops - you are right.. sorry, was a bit wrong on the Banned stuff..

But I guess you could simply replace my "banned" with "Buddy Boxed" or "supervised"...

Still many adults flying that I'd personally like to see "Buddy Boxed" - lol

7. Dave

Dave New Member

Is this for real!!!! Unless you've met Rhys I don't think anyone can say he should be on a buddy box . He is more than capable of flying unaided . Having seen him fly at coffs and grafton spoken with his parents his is a very switched on and safe flyer .

Just because he is young is no reason to buddy box . Look at the guy (cant remember his name ) that lost his life with his 700 hitting him . He's an adult still got hurt but should he have been buddy boxed to save his life .

As a father that started his son flying at 3yrs and now 12 flys better than me you know yourself if their ready or not to fly unaided.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    8. feral

feral Well-Known Member

agree 100%

Joel is another young very capable pilot

9. smakmeharder

I think @12 years old he would be capable of understanding the ramifications, especially if he has been flying all his life. Mostly it comes down to how much his father has worked with Rhys. By the looks of it his dad is an incredible person who has facilitated his son to become what he is today. That shows in my opinion an incredible bond.

10. Murray Wyatt

Murray Wyatt Member

What age is too young to be in control?
      I believe it comes down to teaching and instilling a safety culture at the very earliest stages of flying. I have never tolerated Rhys flying back close to himself, as here in Australia it is the 9m rule, where the model is not allowed within a 9m line which is in front of the pilot. This is also 30m from any spectators that are not covered by MAAA insurance. Rhys has felt my displeasure is various ways, which I will not disclose here, but they have been effective in him exhibiting the flying ethics people see in him today. Now the down side to this is, now we are trying to get some video of his flying, it it very difficult to get the heli when it is some distance away and not on the 9m line.

Some of the posters suggested he should be on a buddy box for his own safety, then it needs to be asked, who is deemed competent to be the buddy box pilot? Another adult flyer, purely because of age? My sons flying ability far outweighs mine, but people still say I should buddy box him?

11. smakmeharder

How did you facilitate your son to learn at such an early age? Fascinating. I know with my son i was so frustrated with reading him bed time stories when he was young i used to make up my own which included fundamental elements from physics and science - made to be fun however. Every night for 7 years i had to make up a new story involving science stuff but making it fun as well. Now as he is in year 12 and the science and math and English teachers are blown away by what he knows. And he picks up new learning quite easily, ie his brain seems receptive to it.. So I am really fascinated how you did this as well.

12. Captain

Captain Active Member

None The less. Good job Dad. ;)

13. smakmeharder

I think i should ask if Rhys would buddy box me!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    14. feral

feral Well-Known Member

I had Rhys offer to teach me death spirals.

15. feral

feral Well-Known Member

if people saw him fly in the flesh there would be a fair few back peddled comments.

Muzz Rhys is also the youngest pilot in Aus to fly a public display airshow.

Just for a bit of info

16. simon

simon Well-Known Member

@feral, I can teach you death spirals, a signature move of mine
      Simon

17. feral

feral Well-Known Member

All good @simon I can do em the fact that Rhys offered to teach me was cool

18. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

No back pedaling on comments here at all.. @feral , Sure i understand that he is, As everyone has said more than capable. But still ALL the same you gotta look at the general public consensus. From the outsiders point of view no matter whats said a child is still not going to have the mental capacity to fully understand the consequences of circumstances that may arise.

I'm glad to read that his dad has spent a lot of time conditioning him, but all the same no matter what, Kids will be kids at times. No matter what the level of conditioning.

Let me say this nice and LOUD.. My point of view is i think it's awesome to see someone of that age being able to fly like that, will be good to follow his progression along that way. The PROBLEM is there are so many stupid videos on the net of dangerous act's that the GENERAL public takes things out of context, NOT saying that his flight video is one of them, but if something happens to someone then the media trolls the net looking for other examples and this would be one they would jump all over, Again taking things way out of context.

I hope now i make my self clear, I'm NOT against it as many of you seemed to have thought. However i really think we should consider painting things in a more positive light so the general public have nothing to jump on down the track. As we are all ambassadors of our hobby.

Think of it like the whole Steve Irwin things years ago, OH SHOCK horror look his son is near Crocodiles, but yet just like Ryhs's dad (Credit to him) he too would have spent a lot of time conditioning him to understand the dangers... However it's totally blow out of context by public perception.

19. Murray Wyatt

Murray Wyatt Member

I think you would have a hard time looking at his video and finding anything alarming about either his flying or his concentration.
      Whereas you could look at any of the 'professionals' videos and they would be perceived as bordering on reckless.
      Just saying

20. Captain

Captain Active Member

Steve Erwin.. Phnaa! Talk about reckless.

sent from my Lumia 1320wp
      using Tapatalk.